Thread: Metro question

Hi, I'm New Here!

Metro question

I have a female red turq who has been off colour for quite some time now (approx 6 weeks). She otherwise appears normal, eats ok, swims around and appears happy.

I have treated the tank with Praziquantel (2 x doses over 2 weeks) and Levamisole (only one treatment so far) but she does not look any different (still dull). Maybe not worms or flukes ?? or does it take time to regain condition??

I am now looking at bacteria treatment and have obtained some Metronidazole from my local vet which I believe will treat flagellates (although no white poo) and some bacterias. I have read in Andrew Sohs great book that he recommends a doseage rate of 1gm/100lt although I have also read posts on this forum suggesting 250mg/10lts (3 x doses 1 every 48hrs).

I would like the advice of anyone who has successfully used Metro as to 1. What dosage rate you used? and 2. Did you notice any other side affects ie. did it stress the fish? Did it notably harm or stress other fish? (I do not have a hostpital tank) 3. Any other useful information?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

in water you NEED to use 250mg/10L.
    I know it sounds like alot, but bugs are becomming resistant, and this is the only way to stop that.

PLEASE FOLLOW THE STICKY TO THE LETTER!!!!!!!!

I was a microbiologist working with multidrug resistant organisums (TB). resistance is caused by under dosage.

Once this drug becomes useless, there wont be much we can do for our fish.

you need a hospital tank, use a bucket, heater and airstone if you have to, metro at that dosage will be harmfull to scaleless fish, snails (any inverts really) and may knock about your bio filter (wont wipe it out but it wont be happy).

Hi, I'm New Here!
    ILLUSN,

Thanks for your prompt and straight forward reply.

The only other fish in the tank is a male red turq. He is not showing any of the pale colour symptons as the female although he has been with her in the same environment the whole time. (I forgot to mention in previous post that the fish have stopped spawning since female going pale). I am wondering if he should get the Metro treatment as well which is why I am worried about possible side effects. In other words.... is he at risk in sharing the treatment?....or should I include him as a matter of course?

Just thinking of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule but wondering if he would be automatically infected (assuming dignosis is correct) and how risky (possible mortality) the whole procedure is ?

I understand your concerns about the use/misuse of antibiotics so will use the stronger dose rate. Appreciate any further advice.

if it's just discus then dose the tank, if you can take out 1/2 your biomedia and keep it in a bucket with an airstone and heater for the next 6 days while you treat (sprinkle a pinch of fish food in the bucket to create amonia to keep the bacteria alive).

the fish should respond well. 1 week after the longterm bath (250mg/10L for 48hrs x3) i like to add 1g metro/100g beefheart mix and feed that 2x daily for 5 days.

Call me parranoid, just want to make sure all the flaggellets are DEAD!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks once again.

Will do as you describe.