Hi, I'm New Here!

Another discus "rescue"

I guess I need to change my name to 3 discus now lol. I got a new discus today, and its in poor shape. The first 2 I got had fin rot and needed dewormed, but this one is way worse. It seems curious enough, so that is good, I think it will live. With the other 2 I just did a lot of water changes, and put a little extra salt in the water and dewormed them and soon they were looking much better. I hope the same goes with this one, I really dont want to have to use antibiotics if I dont have to.

I am going to have to get a mirror so it thinks it has a little company while in quarantine. I will post pictures of it now, and then in a couple months when its all better I will post more

thats a sick looking turk, good luck with him, hope you can turn him around.

never a good idea mate. good luck.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Well it has a great appetite! Thats gotta be a great sign. Its looking much more perkey after eating a good meal of frozen blood worms, and some flake food with some dewormer on it lol.

I got this one from the same person I got my other 2 from, she has fallen on real hard times and has really been neglecting her fishes.

Samir dont say that! I think its always a good idea to try to help something, if one is in the position for it. I have also rescued horses and cats in equally poor condition, and they are sleek, and healthy now

you can rescue all the horses and cats you want. never get sick fish home, especially discus.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Why do you say that?

I am 99% sure I can save it. I am aware of how to quarentine things (never use the same equipment for the one in quarentine). I will only be out $14 if it dies (I dont think it will though).

Wrigglers
    Look at it this way, if you save him and you feel good about yourself for doing so, then in my opinion you've done the right thing. He looks young and will probably bounce back with the right care - he may even grow up to be a nice looking healthy fish!

However if your looking to keep the best, most healthy and strong Discus for the long term then starting off with individuals in poor condition is not going to get you what you want. In this case its better to start with the most healthy specimens you can find and steer clear of the sick & dying Discus.

But at the end of the day fish keeping is a hobby that we hopefully get alot of enjoyment from. So if you get enjoyment from saving Discus that others would sooner let die then I totally support you and I'm sure samir does as well although would probably prefer you start with strong & healthy Discus as the results are usually better.

Good luck!

Regards,

Greggy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Greggy I get what you are saying (and samir if that is what you were trying to get at too), I just didnt understand what the thinking was that one shouldnt get a sick fish if they can make it better. I think you hit it on the head, fish keeping is just a hobby for me, I have no plans on breeding or showing them, so whatever I start out with, is fine.

You're doing a great job 2discus.

The reason we suggest leaving the little runty discus in the shop tank, is that a lot of people feel sorry for them, but have no real idea of how to cure them.

They end up following somebody's well meaning advice, spend a lot of money on medications, put a lot of time, energy and emotion into trying to cure the fish, only to have it die a few weeks or months later.

Discus aren't an easy fish to keep, and it makes it even harder if you start off with an unhealthy specimen, so we try to steer newbies away from buying already sick fish.

On the other hand, you obviously know what you're doing, and I wish you all the best in getting this little guy fit and healthy again :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend