Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah, I use the same quantities as Illusn. Never worried about adding bi-carb or anything else. Mine starts to work within a couple of hours, goes for a minimum of two weeks.

Definately cool the water after boiling ( I did say use cool boiled water :P but maybe that was a bit confusing).

Another thing to check, has your diffusor got a build up of scum on the top. Give it a scrub with an old (clean) toothbrush and it should allow the bubbles through more easily.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Wrigglers
    FWIW I use 2 cups of sugar and 'just' 1/2 a teaspon of yeast in a 2L coke bottle (three of), the are tubes siliconed into the caps. Each bottle has a 1-way valve on the tube comming out of it. They all lead into a 4-way joiner where the CO2 is delivered to my 6x2x2 via a DIY home made reactor.

Works well for the price, and the CO2 lasts 3 to 4 weeks (sometimes even more), so with one teaspoon of yeast it would last approx 2 weeks but probably not much more. More yeast = more CO2 but less run time.

I never bother sterilzing anything and I don't use BiCarb soda either - no problems at all but I generally keep things as clean as I can.

Regards,

Greggy

Wrigglers
    Thanks for all the replies. Ok, well I replaced the bottle anyways so I can rule that out. The mixture I was using was working a couple of weeks ago and co2 was fizzing bigtime out of the diffuser. I have two spare diffusers so I changed the older one for the new one just to make sure that any build up could be to blame, but nothing has changed. I was using 1 and three quarter cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast with some bicarb soda and filling it with warm water three quarters of the way up the bottle. I could maybe cut out the bicarb but I use it in my other reactor and that one is working ok. It is a red sea turbo so the powerhead does assist getting the co2 from the cannister to the water and relies less on actual pressure.

I also tried more sugar and less water to no avail.[/quote]