Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Medium Discus
    im not wanting to contradict anyone on here, but i have used formalin and pp to treat planted tanks.

What i do is treat with formalin at a rate of 2-2.5ml per 100 litres for 7 days depending on how sick the fish are. I then add pp after 7 days which actually bonds with the formalin to make it less toxic according to a pharmasist i have done some work with. PP is only active for about 45 mins and is then inefective and will change colour as it oxidises. I then use pure vitamin C tablets from a pharmacy or health food shop. The vitamin C must be 100%pure with no suger. I crush them up and add them to the tank. It absorbs the pp coulouring leaving the tank clear and also stimulates the fishes appetite

your pharmicicst is correct, PP's effective time is somewhere between 45min-1hr, this window can be increased by keeping light out, the color change from purple to brown is a good indiaction it has been exausted.

PP is an oxidising agent, as a result it will oxiduse ANYTHING it comes into contact with, adding PP to formalin will result in the formalin being deactivated.

Vitamin C is a powerful antioxident hence clearing the color of the PP. the apitite stimulation is a direct result for the vitmin C, I use B complex + garlic to stimulate appitied in stuborn or sick fish (easier to get sugar free then Vit C + seems alittle more effective).