Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wrigglers
    PP treatment is not at all and will never be a harsh treatment if done @ 2mg per litre of water @ pH 6 to 7.

It is only stressful to discus if done @ 2.5 to 3mg per litre of water and done for 3 to 4 days in a stretch....

Also, if done in water above pH8, it could be toxic and also should never use under trace of formalin in the tank.

Normal healthy discus given that 2mg per litre prophylactic can still eat and spawn during the treatment. That definitely proves that it is not stressful at all and safe.

Take care,
    Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home

Quote Originally Posted by apistodiscus
    potassium permanganate is a fairly harsh treatment. I wouldn't do it.
    not at Andrew's dose of 2mg/l. Even one inch fry can tolerate it with absolutely no problems. tank must be spotless (no organic matter) or it will be ineffective.

Do on day 1,4 and 7 with very large water change after each 24 hour dose. I have recently being do it will all new fish before introducing them in with the old ones.

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by samir

tank must be spotless (no organic matter) or it will be ineffetive
    Are you suggesting to turn off the filter?

And why bother tp treat in the first place if the fish are feeding now? Still got the issue of weighing the proper amount of pp.
    If the fish have been newley introduced they could have taken a bit of a 'knock' in transfer and thus started shedding their mucus. It happens and is generally nothing to worry about. A few Indian Almond tree leaves and the fish will improve rapidly.
    I don't get people who keep discus (or any fish for that matter) in a sterile enivironment, in bare bottom tanks and throw chemicals at them without any cause to do so. Fish deserve better and you get an alltogether more eye-pleasing picture. Furthermore your fish will have a better working immune system if exposed to a 'real environment' rather than keeping them like so many mass breeders do in Asia. No wonder the discus plaque originated in fish from that area. And probably the reason why I only get wild fish or those from breeders in the Czech Republic or Germany who introduce their broods to real aquarium conditions before selling them on. I gladly pay the difference.
    I also don't feed beefheart but fish/shellfish mixtures. My fish aren't as big as those championship attrocities but look more like a wild caught fish.
    FYI, didn't have to use any antibiotics in about 20 years. Good husbandry goes a lot further than relying on medications to do the job for you.

you sure don't seem to like your Asians. from "sushi eating Japanese" to the atrocities that win championships.

Larvae
    Sorry, I might need to quantify this. No problems with Asians just Asian discus

Medium Discus
    samir when using potasium permangante in pond treatment applications a crude rule of thumb for establishing whether your oxidative potential has been used up by organics in the water

if the water turns brown within 12 hrs(so dose am) then you have lost the oxidation on organics rather than on possible pathogens

andrew

thanks Andrew. next time I'll try to keep it pink for 12 hours. I usually add 2mg/l after it turns brown. did my entire system a few months ago, took 9mg/l in all.

Just an Egg
    I totally agree with apistidiscus.... hehehe... coz' in the wild there's no such meds.... they only rely on the nature hehehe.... anywyz I did the leaves! and it really works!!! the slime coat is now shedding but he still got the cloudiness in the eyes but he eats...

Thanks to samir, and andrew, and ILLUSN for helping a lot I really appreciated it.... but i wouldn't take chances w/ the PP treatment... sorry... coz' i'm poor w/ calculating things... and I have my discus for a while now... i stilll really trust my instinct of keeping them healthy... and as of now their doin great!!! THANKS YOU GUYZ!!!

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoman
    I totally agree with apistidiscus.... hehehe... coz' in the wild there's no such meds.... they only rely on the nature hehehe.... anywyz I did the leaves! and it really works!!! the slime coat is now shedding but he still got the cloudiness in the eyes but he eats...

Thanks to samir, and andrew, and ILLUSN for helping a lot I really appreciated it.... but i wouldn't take chances w/ the PP treatment... sorry... coz' i'm poor w/ calculating things... and I have my discus for a while now... i stilll really trust my instinct of keeping them healthy... and as of now their doin great!!! THANKS YOU GUYZ!!!
    Glad your discus are doing better. However, don't get me wrong, sometimes you have to medicate. BTW discus tend to live a lot longer in captivity than in nature.

Just an Egg
    ohhh oki thanks....