Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

<<<tank lighting>>>

is it ok for my discus tank light to be ON during the day and night time! the light is ON 24/7....??? and is it normal for the stripe from my blue torquise are disappearing?

they will get lethargic if you always leave the light on.

Just an Egg
    but u know what I had them like for 4 weeks now... and they seems to be fine! they like swimming around and following me whenever I passed their tank and I dunno... they seems pretty happy w/ it?

SnakeSkin Discus
    Do you have plants? As they will not like that at all...you may also find that algae grows, you may get an algae bloom...

Do you really think your discus like having light 24/7? That is like asking you to sleep with a really bright light on , with your eyes open.... do you think you would like that? I know I wouldn't and I personally think that the Discus wouldn't like it either.

It may seem that your discus dont mind but How can they tell you... they dont speak, they cant signal you in any way....

The fact that you have asked the question indicates that you are aware that it could be a problem...

My advice is to turn the light off at night before you go to bed and turn it on in the morning when you wake up... or if you cant be bothered to do that, get a timer that will do it for you. 10hours would be max that you may want to leave the light on. JMO

as for the bars on your turquoise, you will find that they fade sometimes and then sometimes they can look quite dark, that is a natural thing... Some will lose their bars over time and others will be there but very faint... others will always have their bars... HTH
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

Just an Egg
    turn lights off at night.when the lights go out discus go into a sleep mode and if lights are always on this will stress the fish

Just an Egg
    ohhh ok... coz' I always leave my tank light on... it serve us night light on the living room! haha... and yea... i can't tell coz' they don't speak or signal me in any way hehe and to think of it how did u know that they don't like it? just curious??? hmm..

San Merah Discus
    Unless discus came from an endless Arctic summer where there is 24hrs of sunlight in a day (which they don't) it's not OK

SnakeSkin Discus
    and to think of it how did u know that they don't like it? just curious??? hmm..
    I thought it was obvious that my opinion is based on how we as humans would like it.
    I dont know about you but I know that I would not like to sleep with my eyes open under bright lights. Im sure you have noticed that discus dont have eyelids so they have no way of closing their eyes to shut out the light.

I think you will find that over time the discus will lose condition, and you will be cleaning the glass an awful lot.

thats as far as I am going to go in this.

good luck with your fish.
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

Just an Egg
    Why ask for advise if you are only going get upset when someone replies to you with good advise.

you can buy plastic fish from a $2 shop, they don't require water changes and you can always leave the lights on.