Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Free Swimmer
    Pull the plants ect out.
    Put half a hand full of salt in the tank.
    Waters geat don't bother playing with it.

brad

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Crocky, I appreciate any advice I can get but also need to understand. Can you explain the benefit of the salt?

Free Swimmer
    Cant put my finger on it .
    If I have a spawn that dosen't attach i put some salt in the tank. next time I dont have any problems.Works in my water.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Well I have bitten the bullet and set up a bare tank. On second spawn in new tank I have at last had some success and have a cloud of wrigglers swarming around parents HOORAY ! Thank you everyone for your help.

Now for the next stage-turning wrigglers into small fish.

At this stage my babies have only been free swimming for approx 12 hrs or so but it appears that they are getting some nutrition from their parents. I guess the next 24 hrs or so will confirm or prove otherwise. I have read in this forum that I should wait till 5th day of free swimming before feeding brine shrimp.
    My question is....is it best to leave the fry with their parents when feeding or is it best to set up their own tank?

Congratulations on your successful spawn :P

Leave the fry in with mum and dad for at least two or three weeks, or even longer if the parents are still happy and looking after the fry well.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thank you Merrilyn. I wll heed your advice.

I think I have suffered some losses overnight but after 24hrs of free swim there is still a core of healthy looking fry.

Wrigglers
    well done tlf.im having similar problems but mine are due to a community tank.what size tank did you put your pair in.
    cheers boydie

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I have read posts by Samir and others recommending 2ft x 2ft as ideal but a 3ft x 1.5ft tank was available to me at the time so I went with that.

I made up an internal barrier to divide the tank in half and put it in just prior to free swimming to make the area smaller. Lowering the water level helped as well I think.

On this occasion I also noticed that the parents were a lot more proactive and seemed to position themselves to allow or encourage better access by the fry.

Perhaps they learn and become a little better with each spawn.