Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    They can play around with the cleaning bit for days or sometimes even weeks before they actually lay eggs. It's all pretty normal.

Main thing, it means that your tank parameters are perfect, and the fish are happy.

Just keep doing your normal waterchanges and cleaning. If they're determined to spawn, nothing will stop them.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Thanks JamezMan

Nice fish. How big is your tank and what is the temperature at?
    My tank is 46gallon (175L) Temp ranges from 85-86F (29C-30C)....im working on bringing this back down to 84F (28C)

Thanks Merrilyn

They can play around with the cleaning bit for days or sometimes even weeks before they actually lay eggs. It's all pretty normal.

Main thing, it means that your tank parameters are perfect, and the fish are happy.

Just keep doing your normal waterchanges and cleaning. If they're determined to spawn, nothing will stop them.
    If I see them at it again, the camera is out and waiting! lol! Im glad they are doing well now...makes me feel better, and more encouraged to keep trying things

I will do my normal water change, and see if they getting "pissy" if I go near their corner....I was "touching" the ocean green last night while feeding your beefheart mix and he didnt seem to mind!

Thanks again everyone!
    46Gal(174L) Acrylic BF Tank, 3" Eco-Complete, Rena Filstar xP3 Cannister Filter, Pressurized CO2 System at ~4 bps w/DiY PVC reactor (On when lights are on), airstone on at night, Lunar blue LEDs, 1x96w 6700K/10000K Dual Daylight CF (10hrs/day), 1xSilver Pigeon Blood Discus, 1xSuper Red Scorpion Discus, 1xYellow Red Ribbon Discus, 1xOcean Green, 11xCardinals, 1xOtto, 1xQueen Arabesque, 1xClown Pleco, 1xEmerald Green Cory Cat, Temp 83F, kH=2, gH=4, 1x50% WC every saturday with R/O water

Erk thanks you a lot for your help!!

Medium Discus
    One more thing....since my nitrates are at 0ppm....should I dose KNO3 without CO2 being on? I dont want to get BGA...Ive never seen them at 0 before.....

Thanks!
    46Gal(174L) Acrylic BF Tank, 3" Eco-Complete, Rena Filstar xP3 Cannister Filter, Pressurized CO2 System at ~4 bps w/DiY PVC reactor (On when lights are on), airstone on at night, Lunar blue LEDs, 1x96w 6700K/10000K Dual Daylight CF (10hrs/day), 1xSilver Pigeon Blood Discus, 1xSuper Red Scorpion Discus, 1xYellow Red Ribbon Discus, 1xOcean Green, 11xCardinals, 1xOtto, 1xQueen Arabesque, 1xClown Pleco, 1xEmerald Green Cory Cat, Temp 83F, kH=2, gH=4, 1x50% WC every saturday with R/O water

Hey Erk

How do you get your nitrates to zero in a planted tank?

Medium Discus
    Thanks Nicholas76, I dunno how it happened...I havent dosed any ferts in about 2 weeks, cause I was medicating for Ich. Ive never had them down to zero before....no BGA or anything.

Could have been my APC test kit....its been around for prolly over 7months, and I highly doubt there is enough "juice" left in both bottles to do another test (10 drops each bottle)

So I should add some KNO3 then?

Thanks again!

Medium Discus
    I received some new plants in the mail yesterday, so I have some new pics

Still nothing going on as far as the spawning goes

Hope you like

This is the corner both pigeons seem to like

Again with the corner....but no more "runs" up the glass

My turk about to get beat on

No he is running away....like always

Thats HM in the front right corner....I dunno how to plant it, so it forms a nice bush

Suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks

Medium Discus
    I added the macro ferts on wednesday night after my water change. Yesterday when I got home from work, I added some excel, since my co2 isnt on, and the micro fert mix......and that was it. The excel was one capful (small bottle) per 50 gallons, and I added one capful only...I was hoping to work on getting them used to have co2/excel....I think my rhinox2000 will be here today or tomorrow, and I was planning to hook it up and turn co2 back on in my big tank at a slow bubble rate

I saw the small pigeon having some major "flashing" issues, the big pigeon was flashing, and so was the turk

Has anyone else ever notice their discus acting funny after dosing ferts or excel? Does Excel go bad? I dont think Ive had the bottle for that long

No more spawning behavior

Temp is 84-85....nothing else changed, except the addition of those plants and ferts and the excel dose....airstone is still on

Thanks

Medium Discus
    SURPRISE!! not eggs, but for me.....close enough! been a lil over a week I think since I saw this last, and never got a pic then

They have been going at it again! AGAIN! hahaha...right before my water change....gotta feed the beefheart mix(hands in the tank) lots of plants arriving tomorrow.....and now this??!!! hahaha

Some bad pics of the tubes

Can you guys tell male or female?? Big pigeons is out way further then the small pigeons, cant really see a shape to it tho.....dunno how close I can get either

Im so excited! Just turned co2 back on last night at one bubble per second, airstone on, co2 off at nighttime....guess they do like a slightly lower pH....today was there first full day of co2 on at that rate from 11am to 9pm. When i hooked the co2 up last night at that rate, I left the airstone on, but set it to start it normal on off cycle today when it shut off...so on tonight at 12midnight, and off tomorrow at 10am

Any suggestions on how to go about the water change, and planting my million plants coming tomorrow??

Thanks again

Medium Discus
    I think the big pigeon is female...she is laying one or two eggs at a time on the glass, and then the small pigeon comes and eats them right away lol

Thanks

I think your male might still be a bit youg to get the job done right, still mate well done, your tank and fish look great, i still love that ocean green, told you it would grow into a nice fish.