Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Medium Discus

Just a lil update on how things are looking

I just finished a water change and rescape yesterday, and given what I have gone through, things dont look too bad. CO2 is still off, and has been for a lil bit now. I put up the old blue background.....shows off the algae well! haha Im only using my 1x96 watt 6700K bulb right now....10 hours a day

Got a good bit of my plants in moms tank, since co2 is off...they are gonna be huge when I get them back! hahaha

Fish still act a lil funny, but much less "flashing" going on lately....mostly the big pigeon and the ocean have been hanging in the front left corner..."shaking" at the corner of glass...doesnt look like a healthy "shake" but Im letting things go for a lil, and just seeing what happens

Temp is about 85...airstone is still on

Suggestions are welcomed

My try at "aquascaping" :P I just clumped all my rotala, diandra, and ammania together with the big sword in the back. Looks OK in person...I like the NICE looking stem of ammania right in the middle of the bunch

I like the riccia attached to the driftwood....using ALGAE! hahaha :P

Green hairy "clumps" of algae coming out of the substrate wrapped up in my glosso Same stuff is still on my driftwood You can see a nice bright green new leaf on my marble sword in the back

Turk....always hiding

Thanks
    46Gal(174L) Acrylic BF Tank, 3" Eco-Complete, Rena Filstar xP3 Cannister Filter, Pressurized CO2 System at ~4 bps w/DiY PVC reactor (On when lights are on), airstone on at night, Lunar blue LEDs, 1x96w 6700K/10000K Dual Daylight CF (10hrs/day), 1xSilver Pigeon Blood Discus, 1xSuper Red Scorpion Discus, 1xYellow Red Ribbon Discus, 1xOcean Green, 11xCardinals, 1xOtto, 1xQueen Arabesque, 1xClown Pleco, 1xEmerald Green Cory Cat, Temp 83F, kH=2, gH=4, 1x50% WC every saturday with R/O water

Erk thanks you a lot for your help!!

Eric, the fish look wonderful. Happy and healthy !

Aquascaping looks great. Once the plants start growing, they will overtake the algae, so don't be too concerned.

But it's already looking good.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

I like the riccia attached to the driftwood....using ALGAE!
    thats my trick

SnakeSkin Discus
    the fish are looking good Eric. imo u need to put a lot more plants in there and they will eat up any excess nutrients, even if it's just a temporary thing. wisteria and hygro are good plants for this...

Medium Discus
    Thanks everyone

When I said about the fish doing weird "shaking" stuff in the front left hand corner...I meant the front right hand corner, and the small pigeon still flicks on stuff, and I saw the poor turk do it on my driftwood too...I hope things calm down shortly...Im still waiting on a rhinox2000 diffuser to arrive, and then I will slowly turn co2 back on in there...and hopefully the lower pH from the co2 will help them a lil bit....they do eat pretty well tho

All of them are fighting a good bit too lately! The small pigeon thinks he can take on the ocean and the big pigeon, and the big pigeon and the ocean go mouth to mouth.....and they all pretty much let the turk have it whenever he comes out for anything....hopefully that calms down too!

Eric, the fish look wonderful. Happy and healthy !

Aquascaping looks great. Once the plants start growing, they will overtake the algae, so don't be too concerned.

But it's already looking good.
    Thank Merrilyn I hope they are happy and healthy

thats my trick
    I didnt even try that! lol! The riccia did it on its own! Im leaving it alone for now tho!

the fish are looking good Eric. imo u need to put a lot more plants in there and they will eat up any excess nutrients, even if it's just a temporary thing. wisteria and hygro are good plants for this...
    Thanks Rob Im waiting for the rhinox2000 to arrive, and then I will slowly turn the co2 back on, and once things seem ok, I have a good bit of plants in moms tank that I will get back and stuff in there....those tiger lotus plants are prolly coming out...I would like to try to hide that intake tube in the back right corner

Thanks again everyone! Im hoping things go well this time around
    46Gal(174L) Acrylic BF Tank, 3" Eco-Complete, Rena Filstar xP3 Cannister Filter, Pressurized CO2 System at ~4 bps w/DiY PVC reactor (On when lights are on), airstone on at night, Lunar blue LEDs, 1x96w 6700K/10000K Dual Daylight CF (10hrs/day), 1xSilver Pigeon Blood Discus, 1xSuper Red Scorpion Discus, 1xYellow Red Ribbon Discus, 1xOcean Green, 11xCardinals, 1xOtto, 1xQueen Arabesque, 1xClown Pleco, 1xEmerald Green Cory Cat, Temp 83F, kH=2, gH=4, 1x50% WC every saturday with R/O water

Medium Discus
    Soooo....I was concerned about the big pigeon and the small pigeon doing this "shaking" in the front right hand corner of the tank, and I was concerned as to why the small pigeon was fighting soooo much with the ocean green....well....

The big pigeon and the small pigeon have still been hanging out in the front right hand corner

However....about 10 mins or so before the lights went out for the night last night...I saw the big pigeon slowly going up the glass with his belly region against the glass!!! So I guess all the "shaking" and what not was actually the big pigeon "biting" at the glass and cleaning it!! Sooo..does that mean my big pigeon is a female? It looks like she has her tube out...but its not where I thought it was going to be based on some pics and stuff I saw on this forum...its more around her pooper?

Im going to try to snap some pics today when I get home from work! I feel much better with things now after seeing that!

Any recommendations on how to go about my normal water change tomorrow? Should I clean the glass in that area...to remove any algae, or just leave that side alone for a lil?

Thanks very much!
    Eric

That all depends on if you wake up to find eggs on the glass LOL

See Eric, they really do love their tank, and sick fish don't breed, so that means your fish are happy and healthy................................and they just proved it :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Thanks Merrilyn No eggs on the glass this morning, but hopefully she is still doing it when I get home, so I can get some pics....she doesnt seem very interested in food ATM, but I guess thats to be expected?

See Eric, they really do love their tank, and sick fish don't breed, so that means your fish are happy and healthy................................and they just proved it
    It looks like you are correct! IM SOOOO GLAD! I feel so much better now!! Im so glad they let me know things are going well....for once! Sometimes thats all I need....just a lil sign!

I appreciate everyones help and encouragement throughout my mess! Now im going to be afraid to turn my co2 back on tho :P I will keep you guys updated on how things go...Im supposed to do my water change tomorrow, so this may get interesting....my fishies may try to eat me while im cleaning now! lol

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Medium Discus
    No action going on since Ive been home so no pics to post

Updated tank parameters are:

pH=7.0
    ammonia=0
    nitrite=0
    nitrate=0 (this is a first for me! and prolly why they acted like they wanted to lay eggs last night....)
    kH=3
    gH=4
    phosphate=1.0 (the lowest Ive ever seen this )

Thanks!

Wrigglers
    Nice fish. How big is your tank and what is the temperature at?

Cheers.