Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello - and now for some questions!

G'day all. I'm new to the forum and SO pleased to have finally found some others who appreciate wildtype discus (and angels). Was starting to think I was the only one. Been out of fishkeeping for a while and was amazed that I just can't get wildtype fish anymore - not even common old browns. So, a couple of questions - 1) are there still a few people out there maintaining wild strains? and 2) are the only wild caught fish imported these days, heckels? Any Tefe greens etc. that used to be reasonably common still being brought in?

tiktaalik
    firstly welcome to the forum it has some awesome people that can help with almost any thing.
    now as for your questions1 there are a few people here that have wilds and a lot more wanting them .hehe you can still get other types of wilds (brown or Alanquers tafe greens ,etc) are all still around just need to talk to the right people. At the moment Heckels are the flaver of the month ,hehe
    so keep an eye on here and from time to time people let you know what is around. good luck with it all and again welcome scott

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Cheers Scott - thanks for the welcome. The forum certainly does seem to represent a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips (and good to hear I've got a chance of finding some of my favourites, too!).

Wrigglers
    Welcome you can get wilds in adelaide as well but as you say only heckels at the moment.I have a pair (2) myself and i know there are more in adelaide. If you like get in touch and maybe i can point you in the right direction.What part of adelaide are you in.

Cliff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heckel_1_895.jpg   heckel_3_277.jpg   heckel_1_895.jpg   heckel_3_277.jpg  

hey your heckels are looking very heathy cliff good work mate scott

Wrigglers
    Thanks Scott its a pity the lazy owner couldnt clean the glass before he takes pics.

Cliff

Welcome to the forum tiktaalik.

The wilds are still around, although not as many as there used to be a few years ago. We can still get browns, RSGs, tefe greens, royal blues and red alenquers as well as the heckels.

Several of the sponsors are able to get wild fish in for you, I would suggest you contact Xtreme Aquarium and Fishrock Aquarium in Sydney. Both of these sponsors have recently brought in high quality wild caught fish and will air freight to Adelaide.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba123cliff
    Welcome you can get wilds in adelaide as well but as you say only heckels at the moment.I have a pair (2) myself and i know there are more in adelaide. If you like get in touch and maybe i can point you in the right direction.What part of adelaide are you in.

Cliff
    Thanks Cliff. Beautiful fish! I have a couple of shops around Adelaide willing to order me some wild heckels at reasonable prices but I didn't really want to dive in at the deep end with the hardest to breed of the wilds, just yet. (I live in the hills so the trick of using really big outdoor ponds for breeding heckels probably isn't an option....) Wanted to get something that I felt I had a reasonable chance of breeding once they were settled (Tefe greens were always a favourite). Having said that, if you get your hecks breeding I'll be ever so willing to relieve of some of the youngsters!

Ralph

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn
    Welcome to the forum tiktaalik.

The wilds are still around, although not as many as there used to be a few years ago. We can still get browns, RSGs, tefe greens, royal blues and red alenquers as well as the heckels.

Several of the sponsors are able to get wild fish in for you, I would suggest you contact Xtreme Aquarium and Fishrock Aquarium in Sydney. Both of these sponsors have recently brought in high quality wild caught fish and will air freight to Adelaide.
    Ah,now that's music to my ears. Thanks Merrilyn.