Heckel average adult size and age to maturity

I've got 20cm , 15cm and 12.3 cm from different sources. somebody shed some light please.

from what I've read ,age to maturity varies from 24 - 36 months. Bleher says 12 months to breed in the Amazon but 24 months in captivity because they need time to acclimatise

17-20cm and 24 months I'd say
    "If it isn't a wild its way too mild ! "

Quote Originally Posted by taksan
    17-20cm and 24 months I'd say
    24 months seems to be the general estimate from people who have actually kept them. I'll have to measure mine when I transfer them.
    Growing them to 20cm would be a bit hard as they came borderline stunted. My estimate is that they would not have eaten properly for at least a month. I'd be pretty lucky to achieve 17cm TL.

Larvae
    Did you worm them? In my experience wild fish nearly always carry some worms. Try feeding them garden worms or whiteworm and they will pack on weight pretty quickly. Just don't overdo it. 3 -4 times a week additionally to their regular food

Quote Originally Posted by apistodiscus
    Did you worm them? In my experience wild fish nearly always carry some worms.
    I meant they had not eaten before I got them. Yes I did worm them as well as treat for flukes and flagellates. They have been eating heavily, since day one.
    I don't like feeding live foods, I could try earthworms but I don't have the time.They should be around 15cm TL, they were 10 when I got them three months ago, not as quick as my browns (some were 10cm in around 4 months) but still pretty good.

Larvae
    white worms don't carry diseases in case you are worried about that. You can also feed them with astaxanthin. Makes them nice and orange and besides bringing out the red colours in your fish (not an issue with Heckles) you will also add a very potent anti-oxidant to their diet

thanks for the advice, I won't follow it, not because I don't agree, but because I'm more of a beefheart person I have my own method and though it may not be the best it works for me The astaxanthin, yes I will do that next beefheart batch.

Can't keep live stuff around the house or in the fridge or I'll get in trouble