Bio-Filtration at ridiculously low ph??

atm ph is 4.8. the fish seem to like it more than the 5.5-6 i was trying earlier.
    what are people using to remove NH3 , NO2 and NO3 ? what is a good rechargeable zeolite to use ???

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitrazorb is the best.
    "If it isn't a wild its way too mild ! "

Along with purigen!

Medium Discus
    i have run apisto tanks at ph around 5 and have not seen any detrimental nitrogen build ups

i know that it goes against the science , and i still dont believe that bacteria are not adapable enough to live in conditions that fish can live in

by this i mean i believe bacterial denitrification can occur at these low pH levels

andrew

thanks Andrew, just what I wanted to hear. my discus tanks have been running at 5.5 for months and I haven't had a problem with ammonia or nitrite.

Just an Egg
    Bacteria are found in nuclear waste, they are found in volcanic lakes (where pH is a LOT lower than our pitiful 5.0). There is one way to check, just get a scrapping of your sponge and look at it under your microscope. I recommend that all serious aquarist buy and learn how to use a microscope, it will help you immensely in correct diagnosis of diseases.

Oh, forgot, you will also need a micro-biology book of fish-disease, bacteria, protozoa, etc. They should be available from steve simpson books (online).

Cheers,
    Vien.

I have two tanks with breeding pairs, both at 4.5. one has a mature filter one hasn't. got a bacteria bloom in the tank without the cycled filter.

Medium Discus
    One of mine tank is constantly running below 5, and so far there's no serious problem (with what's remaining). I've added experimental fish in and certain species that doesn't handle will show signs immediately.

Filtrations are Eheim cannister and power head driven FBF.