Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Welcome to the wild side .............

Wild discus are becoming more and more popular both here in Australia and overseas, so this forum area is dedicated to the King in the wild state.

If you're keeping wilds, then this is the forum area for you.

Post your pics of your wilds, and share your experiences with keeping and breeding this magnificent fish.

This is an advanced discussion area dedicated to wild caught and pure offspring of wild parents.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

This place sure seems to have generated a lot of interest in wilds, Taksan will be pleased. Bayfish better send you a live Christmas hamper, the wilds have been flying off the shelves since you've added this section.

Just an Egg
    The other wholesalers have stocked up on wilds too.

Looks like the future is bright for wild discus enthusiasts!

This section is long overdue.

I hope more people start breeding them so we can have less fish plucked out of the wild. Squid seems to be only one making a dent.

Wrigglers
    maybe its just me, but i seem to be having a great deal of trouble locating or scourcing wilds, apart from a pair of heckles i got from bayfish. they were purchased thru my lfs, but, as stated in an earlier thread, the wilds have taken off and, without meaning any disrespect, some people seem to have an edge or however you may put it, when it comes to buying them. ( eg. Taksan and the wild greens and Samir seems to have an insider ). Again, please don't take these comments the wrong way, no disrespect at all, just makes it hard for a little lfs in bundaberg to access fish.For instance, my lfs has had an order in for months for a couple of wild greens, which i love, yet when they did come the lot got sold to someone else. Again, good luck to whoever gets them, but it seems the bigger customers get the prize and the little aussie battler misses out...again! ps:...anyone wanna sell me a couple?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn

This is an advanced discussion area dedicated to wild caught and pure offspring of wild parents.
    Hi Merrilyn

Just looking for some clarification - your wording implies that this discussion is restricted to wild caught fish (obviously) and, strictly speaking, the F1 generation. As I understand it, what I call ‘wildtype’ discus - fish that conform to the appearance of wild discus but are of unknown pedigree – aren’t really included. Or am I being too pedantic in my reading?

Great to see this. Now, if only I knew where to buy wild discus - they never seem available I do have my 2 little heckels & 1 wild royal blue, that a hobbyist was selling off via Xtreme. But it seems so hard to get hold of these beautiful fish.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I might catch some flak for this from the purists but I'd love to see the discussion cover wildtype discus as well as genuine wild discus. Maybe it’s meant to, but that isn’t the impression I have. Personally I have no time for any of the lurid modern varieties (might as well keep a goldfish, I reckon) – it’s the natural colour variations I love. This is the discussion I head straight for but the fact that real wilds are so hard to source in Oz is a factor that severely limits participation.

Including aquarium bred wildtype discus would invigorate the discussion I think. Even these are quite hard to find and those that are available are often sold as wild caught (came from a friend of a friend who said they were… etc.) because this is the buzz at the moment. Why not validate them by including them in the mix and at the same time encourage the propagation of good wildtype varietal lines?

What do others think?

Wrigglers
    therein lies the problem tik - wild caught or tank bred wild offspring, they're just like hens' teeth.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    True, but there are reasonable numbers of very good wildtype discus around - browns/alenquers in particular that are clearly several generations removed from any wild ancestor. In that respect they are almost as domesticated as any pigeonblood, I guess, but they still look like wild discus which is the appeal for me. It’s these I’d like to get people interested in (and discussing).