Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gill flukes

San Merah Discus
    Gee Scott, u seem to know urself pretty well.....
    I'd suggest u hold back on the medications... Ur poor fishes are druggies already.... ... and it's only been 3 days! :P

lol i was hoping to get them addicted so then they would make me babies to swap for a fix!!! little S.O.B's better start making me some money we have to pay rent/morgage why can't they.

Scott, just remember the age old saying...

Good things come to those that wait

Hi, I'm New Here!
    A quick warning about fluketabs, if you intend to kill of your discus there is a much better and kind way of doing it. Give the fluketabs to your motherinlaw or if you havent got one save them until you do get one.
    I killed of about 40 adult red turks. These where fish in exess of 7"
    (17 cm tot lenght). It hits their nervesystem and they end up at the watersurface ond go around like a bat out of hell. This happens on day two in the treatment. Within a day or so they are dead. Belive me, its a terrible faith on something you love so much.
    There is only two things in my book that treats flukes and that is coppersulphate and praziquantelum and then a continious treatment
    that spans over 14 days. There is flukeverieties that needs 10-12 days to hatch and this way you kill them of until there is no eggs left.
    A fluke need a host within hours after it is born or it will die.
    Most flukes are born in the gills of fish were they live all their life
    and they lay eggs here and most of the eggs stay within the gills.
    I could sit here for hours and go on about this, but you see, I am only a Johnny twotuch on the keybord, and now I am getting knakkerd, so I shall wish you all a good night.
    Kai
    There is more discus having problem with their owners than owners with their discus.
    (a quote by B. Degen, if I remember right.)

San Merah Discus
    See Scott, I told you....
    PRAZI-QUAN-TEL!

Save the fluke tabs for the mother-in-law

kev

I got a few left, i dont have a mother in law but i have a neighbours cat that keeps peeing on my front door, maybe i can find some use there

yep use prazi...

i have used it a few times with good success..

BUT,
    i have learned that before using chemicals in my tank i try to imrpve the water quality to treat the problems. i first increase my water changes, and i also add 1-2 tbl spoons salt per 10 gal (40ltrs)

try this for a few days to a week and see if your fish can overcome their illness naturally first!!!!!!!

if that doesn't work then try using chemicals.... i have learned the hard way and lost discus in the past by adding chemicals too much. sometimes you may dignose the illness incorrectly and end up making the fish sicker.

i have found that in most cases if i see that one or some of my fish are sick, it means that i have let the water quality slide. so like i said, look towards the water quality before throwing chemicals iun your tank. since i have taken this approach, i have not lost a discus or added chemicals to my tank for illness for at least 5 months. and my discus are as healthy as they have ever been.

this is just my opinion, but has definately worked for me

matt
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Yeah Matt, i hear you loud and clear, I learnt the hard way, i didn't loose any fish but i did treat for something the didn't have.