Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, I'm New Here!
    will the parents be ok with the light turned on 24/7 don't need to sleep?

thanks

hehe no mate dont need to sleep for a while they will be ok

Definately lower the water level, and as samir suggested, paper all around the sides of the tank with white or very light coloured paper.

You want the parents to appear as the darkest things in the tank. Little discus brains are programmed to seek out the darkest object, which is normally their parents. Unfortunately pigeon blood parents don't darken much, and your fish are very pale to begin with, so the fry are obviously confused.

Give Crocky's suggestion a go. I've never tried that, but it could well work. I know he's bred albino fish before, and they are also very pale.

If that doesn't work, then try keeping the tank very dimly lit 24/7 for at least a week after hatching. Hopefully that will make the parents appear darker than the white surroundings.

I probably don't need to remind you, but super clean water is essential.

Good luck.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!

hi

hi mate
    i am not an expert, but i just had the same problems before but now ok...
    you have too much water in the tank. need to lower the water and if possible remove everything except the air stone and heater. don't turn air stone too high or else too much vibration and fry will follow the vibration instead. they can't see. anyway lower the water down until only 1 cm left from the parents.
    good luck :P
    again i am not an expert just from experience

t.k

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I did lower the water level and put white paper around the tank and also left a night light on next to the tank. I also took out the conner filter when at the wrigglers stage, as the wool had dark patches in it and i was gonna put it back as soon they found the parents as i didn't want to have no filtration in the tank. But all the fry died with in 24 hours of free swimming where as before they had lasted about 3 -5 days even with out finding parents. Every batch previously i had about 5 survivors but this time all died.

water temp 27 and ph around 7 which where same water conditions for every batch. Also have not been feeding the fish during this stage as they don't seem to eat any way

any ideas

thanks

if the're sticking to the black corners use a tank without them. a much smaller tank would be ideal ,without the black aluminium edges.

Hi, I'm New Here!

bacteria

hmmmm sound like some sort of bacteria you have in the tank
    have you try to cover the tank with white stuffs ??? but i think to do with your water..bacteria....

t.k

Hi, I'm New Here!
    yep i have put white paper around the tank except for the front

Free Swimmer
    waters to cold,get it up 30,31.

Just an Egg
    Hi Aaron

A bit past the event, but I find the following works for me for the light coloured parents !

When wrigglers are evident on the laying pot, I cover the 75mm black sponge filter with a 100mm white waste pipe say 200mm high but with an uneven base to create a water flow "upwards" past the filter.

I then "turn" the laying pot so the wrigglers are within 100mm of the nearest corner which I actually cover with an area of black tape.

The wrigglers eventually head for the black corner, and the light parents situate themselves between the pot and the corner trapping them. Babies come out of the corner to feed then go back, and do not stray until several days later.

I remove the white pipe after one week, the black filter graveyard risk is then not an issue.

Just an alternative method for you to consider and yes lowering the water is good so long as the white pipe is covered.............!
    Green Discus in Green Tank in a Green Environment means a Green planet !!