Thread: fluoride???

Hi, I'm New Here!

fluoride???

my area just recently had fluoride added to its water supply
    (although to be honest i forgot until today) i did a water change today, the first since the change and with in 2 hrs one of my rummy nose is dead and the rest are not looking to well. my discus are huddled under the filter not moveing either hardly breathing or breathing rapidly.

the tank is normaly kept at between 30 - 32 degrees celcius and the parameters at the moment are: ph: 7 nirite: 0 ammonia: 0 and nitrate 5 and the temp is at 23 C i do 50% water changes weekly
    could it be the sudden change in chemicals in the water or something else and what if anything can i do about this?
    thanks for any help.

Are you saying that your tank is normally kept at 30 degrees, but it is now at 23 degrees, or was that a typo?

A 50% water change once a week is pretty drastic, particularly if you're using cold water to do the change.

Get that temp back up to 30 as soon as possible, and with a bit of luck you may have averted a case of white spot from the chilling.

A lot of Australia has had fluoride added to the water for many years, (more than thirty) with no adverse effects to the fish. I'm wondering if something else has been added to your water, like chloramine. Are you using a chlorine remover when you do water changes? If so, what are you using?
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend