Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lady Red

Ivo, that fish is sensational.

I loved her in the previous photos, now she's even more stunning.

Well bought.

(Wish I had been in Sydney, she'd be swimming in my tank now :P )
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

could one call these red diamonds ??? they are barless.
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...6e363df483baf7

Thank you Merrilyn and Samir. I am not sure about the sex yet i bought both of them so hopefully they are a male and female.

Merrilyn/Samir, how do i determine male or female for rose red? (i think Samir said before that male is not as red.)yes, i think they are barless i have not seen any.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that fish is a female, simply by going on her shape. She has a very female type head and of course, the dorsal fin is very rounded. Ventral fins are short and wide and the caudal fin is narrow.

Having said all that, it will probably turn out to be a male

is this the one you picked up first or second??? I saw the second one and that looked pretty much female to me.

samir, the one in the picture is the first one i picked which you didn't see. hehe i probably have two female then. it does not matter about the sex breeding is too much work. it is hard to tell the sex until they breed. one discus i have i thought it is a male for sure because of the pointy long dorsal fin but then she laid eggs. i let you know when it comes to the time they breed. how are your rose red doing?

yup its all guesswork until they spawn. mine are fine, they had spawned a couple of days after i got them but dunno which is which. treating them atm after which we''ll find out if its a pair

Medium Discus
    It is all guess work and you just can not go by shape head size fin shape as everytime you do it it will be the opposite and there is no way with 100% being positive what sex they are until you see the breeding tubes i am sorry if this offends anyone and if anyone says they can sex discus before they spawn then they are not telling the story right.
    Thats why if it was easy to do the sexing we would go to a shop and say ok i want that male and that female and the prices would be $20ea for any fish the fact that to get 1-2 pairs u need 8-10 fish on average but you can fluke 2 pairs from 6 fish.
    Hope you have a male and female IVo they would be awesome fish to breed mate.
    cheers brett

After 30 years of breeding discus Brett, I'll still say this one is a female, although discus have a wonderful way of making us all look like idiots

But heck, I've been wrong before, and I'll no doubt be wrong again, but this one still looks like a girl

Either way, I've got a 50% chance of being right

I will let you all know the sex when it spawns. Although i am in favour of Merrilyn's judgement given her longstanding experience in the discus world.