Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I.D please?

I.D please?

I got two of these little guys from a LFS yesterday.. They had no idea what they were. They initially tried to tell me they were Gold Rams

I'm sure they an Apisto of some description, but if I could get an expert opinion on the strain please. I'd really appreciate a link to a pic of an adult specimen if you can.

I think they're both male by the way they flare up at each other when ever they cross paths, although one has more red in the tail than the other.

Check out the German Blue Rams I got as well... They're still only young too. The male hasn't developed the dorsal fin extension yet although his colouration seems good.

Larvae
    I'd say 2 female Apistogramma nijsseni.....females hate each other!
    Should show a black spot on the body
    Males don't have as much black on gill plates
    goggle for images....

Wrigglers
    Yep I agree with Rod, female nijsseni. They arent panduro or baenschi and nijsseni are the only other ones with the red margin on the tail.

Black lateral spot can be mood related, and I believe on nijsseni its often greenish rather than black.

I would see if you could trade one in for a male - these are pretty strict pair bonding apistos, not harems.

steph
    Current fish: A. baenschi, A. agassizi tefe, A. panduro, M ramirezi
    Past Fish: A. agassizi, A. gibbiceps, A. iniridae, A. trifasciata, A. agassizi alenquer,

Medium Discus

2 Female A.nijsseni

Two female Apistogramma nijsseni eh' ? well I wouldn't worry too much about that, pretty soon you'll have just one - unless of course you have a large tank OR you take one of the females out before it kills the other. A lovely apisto but a pretty aggressive one. Try to get a male or take the 2nd fish back to your LFS who incorrectly sold the fish to you in the first instance - an event I struggle to comprehend.

Well thats my last advice here on the forum as I embark upon a months holidays far far away

take care, and don't expect a post card

Wrigglers
    Hey hassles,

Have a great trip, visit lots of exotic fish shops to drool over the fish you cant get here and log in every day from internet cafes because you miss us ?!?!

Cheers

Steph
    Current fish: A. baenschi, A. agassizi tefe, A. panduro, M ramirezi
    Past Fish: A. agassizi, A. gibbiceps, A. iniridae, A. trifasciata, A. agassizi alenquer,

Nijsenni have been observed to have both pariing behaviour and harem behaviour.

I am inclined to believe that a lot of it is to do with space - They are nasty and no female will tolerate another and claim bigger territories, hecne in the typical aquariums we committ to the species we see them as being pair forming.

Certainly I have others that change behaviour on moving to a different size tank, or indeed even differnet substrate/ decoration of tank.

These are not good beginner fish IMO - for two reasons. One they are cranky bugers - real cranky and the aggression cna be a challenge to manage. Secondly they do need a real low pH to get to breed - panduro are so much more popular as they do not have this crazy level of requirements.

HTH

Steve

Larvae
    Hi Steve,

You've never really forgiven me for swapping my cranky Pair of A nijsenni for a pair of your N brevis when you first moved to Brisbane.....have you?

Regards....Rod

It's OK Rod - I still luv ya......

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I'd say 2 female Apistogramma nijsseni.....females hate each other!
    Should show a black spot on the body
    Males don't have as much black on gill plates
    goggle for images....
    Thanks for the I.D Rod.

These were purchased out of complete ignorance on my part unfortunately. I knew they were Apisto's of some description and the LFS had no idea what they were so gave them to me for $5ea so I couldn't turn it down. In hind sight it would've been better to leave them there.
    I have them in a 2ft cube tank with quite a bit of cover. So far they seem to be keeping to themselves but I can see the aggression you all mentioned when they do encounter one another, but there's been no clashes...yet.
    Unfortunately I headed off o'seas again till mid Aug before seeing all your replies so it's too late to swap for a male etc. I'm just hoping at least one of them is left when I get back so I can seek out a male.

Can anyone advise if these fish are reasonable quality? I've done a couple of Google image searches and they seem 'ok'. I just wanted to know what characteristics make for a good Apisto?

Larvae
    Look healthy,straight Good colour

I'd be Happy to breed with them!