Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blue Diamond Discus
    OK, I am convinced ... going to get me one ! or 2 ! I would have been sold early if I new that it kills aglae. Of the ones shown on http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category51_1.htm

, what would you recommend for a 4x2x2 foot tank (less than 400 litres water).
    Dave

Wrigglers
    I'd go for the 8w maybe even the 15w.

Even try the hazelock systems, also we have also been very lucky too have a new friend Peter that deals with R.O units but also sells UV's aswell. All aquadot members get a special price, might be worth checking it out.

The site is www.psifilters.com.au but there is a special Aquadot page with our special prices. You'll have to wait for Ro to post that one or try finding it in the post he put up about it.

Scott AKA - Flukes

Tiny Fry
    You need to buy a uv to suite a flow rate not the size of the tank. All uv's are rated by gallons per hour.

http://www.psifilters.com.au/aquadotnetwork.htm

you can always have your UV running seperate to your filter, just have the correct rated powerhead pumping water through the UV and back into the tank, that is the most effective way to do it.

Wrigglers
    Quote Originally Posted by psx2doctor
    All uv's are rated by gallons per hour.
    Not the Pro Aqua ones. They're rated for "upto X litres total capacity", which is pretty optomistic, eg 6w is good for tanks "upto" 1890 litres!

Tiny Fry
    That is scary. Let me rephrase it. A serious uv sterilizer is rated by the flow rate.

Actually if you want to get serious there is a mathematical equation you can use and it is a combination of flow rate and tank/pond size...

I will look around for the scale graph and post in the next day or so.

Blue Diamond Discus
    Another aussie site has info on the Aqua Pros, however annoying how they don't directly match

http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/ozone/sterilrmain.htm

Fluval Output: 1300L/h

I should be considering the Aqua Pro UV Sterliser 15 watt.
    Dave

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I've had an Aqua Pro on my tank for a few months now, and I've been very happy with it.

I got a 15W unit for my 4x18x18 tank. Overkill, sure, but better than underpowering it from what I hear. I figure more power won't kill bacteria any deader I run it for an hour, out of every twelve.

I would definitely agree with the clarity - I was shocked at how clean my water looked after I'd had it running only an hour.

There is a school of thought that claims that long-term they'll leave your discus with a weakened immune response. The theory is that they get used to not having to deal with 'bad bacteria' properly, so they'll get sick when they encounter something nasty.

I'm very unconvinced. The most knowledgeable fishkeepers I know disagree with it also. I just thought I'd pass on a dissenting opinion

Cheers!
    John