Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tiny Fry

Vecton UV Sterilizer

I was forced to return the Hozelock UV Sterilizer. The unit was to big for my cabnit. The unit I have my eye on the moment is the Vecton 25w UV Sterilizer.

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquariumproducts/vecton.asp

A mate of mine is in the UK at the moment and has offered to bring one back for me. The power supply is the same as here (220v) and the bulbs are the generic philps brand. It is going to cost me about $180. Does anyone know anything regarding this unit?

They use different plugs...

plus it is not approved for AU use, so if it goes POOF or causes anything else to fault, you have no insurance or comeback.

Hint - Forget looking at overseas sites, they are as good as useless for us, especially for electrical equipment.

BTW, we are 240v not 220v

Tiny Fry
    I wish it was that simple. I cannot find a 25w uv sterilizer in Australia for under $500. I would like to stay away from the products made in China, who have custom bulbs.

I lived in the UK for a short while and all the products I bought there, I brought back with me all work great(dvd player, tivo, ect.). Just replace the UK plug with an OZ plug.

I dont really care about insurance and comeback. It would cost me less than half, so if a unit broke I would buy another and still have change.

If anyone has recommendations on a generic bulb sterilizer available in Australia please help

Thanks

Wrigglers
    Seen these?

I find it hard to understand how the Hozelock could be too big, most UV's are the same size when you go above 11w, why??? because they have to fit the same bulb in them.

The other thing that would be a problem getting a unit from Overseas, different bulbs, and different ampage.

Trust me, after researching UV bulbs from US manufacturers, we cant get some of the bulbs here, so replacing the bulb may be a problem.

Blue Diamond Discus
    okey I need a dunse explanation, UV kills both good and bad bacteria right ?, so where do you position the UV filter, as I am tempted to get one.
    Dave

No...

It kills the baddies, in an established tank it wont affect the good bacteria, however if you uv protect a new tank it takes a lot longer to cycle.

The good bacteria is in your filter, it should stay put. Although there must be some good bacteria that passes through the UV and dies i dont think it would be nearly enough and i dont think it would effect your biological filtration.

Scott AKA - Flukes

Larvae
    25W sound like a lot to me! How big or how many tanks do you need to service?
    As far as I understand it the UVS should be placed last (after the filter).
    Gianluca (John)
    ADA member

UVS are great. I have them on 3 tanks now. They are placed on the outlet hose of a cannister or sump filter. All the good bacteria are safely housed in your filter and do not come into contact with the UV light. However the free floating bacteria and pathogens that cause problems are zapped by the UV as they flow past the light. Another side benefit is CLEAN water. I mean crystal clear. My tanks have never looked better.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend