Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Electric Yellow Cichlid (Labidochromis caeruleus)

Hi, I love the brilliant colouring of these guys. Can anyone tell me if two males would get on ok in a 250Lt tank with guppies, neon tetra's, red blue columibian tetras, & dwarf gourami's (2 males & eventually 2 females)? Or would they cause problems?

Also, how many females to males?

I have read that they're one of the more peaceful chiclids, but i'd prefer opinions from those that have kept them before rather than articles on the net.

Wrigglers
    i really wouldnt put these fish with what u have and they need a bit more room to more and different water conditions.

Try some blue rams or gold rams, they should go well. A pair will be fine

San Merah Discus
    Guppy= Asian (I think) Neon=Sth American, Red & Blues= Sth American, Gourami=Asian, Electric Yellows=African.

Asian and Sth Ams can get on because some share similar water parameters but the Africans need hard alkaline water and would probably eat the smaller guppies and tetras.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    im not sure about the different water conditions but my boyfriend keeps them in a cichlid community tank with blue dolphin's, afra's, OB zebra's and a few others and he thinks they are one of the best fish because you don't need to worrie about the male to female ratio males get along fine and the other fish don't bother picking on them for some reason. the only other thing that i can say for sure (with out asking and starting him lecturing for the next hour ) is that he has found them to be fairly slow growing so if you started them out in that sized tank they should be ok for a while.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thankyou all for your replies... it is very helpful...

I think it might be best if I hold off until I can get another tank Then I can have a cichlid community. Pity, as Livefish has got these guys on special this month for $3.00 each.

Also, I thought a 250lt tank would be quite big enough for them... the tank is 100cmL x 50cmW x 50cm H. I'm not sure where I could put a bigger tank than that in my place
    [/quote]

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by Robdog
    Guppy= Asian (I think) Neon=Sth American, Red & Blues= Sth American, Gourami=Asian, Electric Yellows=African.

Asian and Sth Ams can get on because some share similar water parameters but the Africans need hard alkaline water and would probably eat the smaller guppies and tetras.
    Guppies are originally from Central America.

Good idea to get another tank for a Malawi cichlid community!

Larvae
    My daughter had 2 x Electric Yellow Cichlids with 12 x guppies and 1 x mystery snail

She now has 2 x Electric Yellow Cichlids only as they ate the guppies and the mystery snail

(¯`·._)§andy(_.·`¯)

San Merah Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyLynne
    My daughter had 2 x Electric Yellow Cichlids with 12 x guppies and 1 x mystery snail

She now has 2 x Electric Yellow Cichlids only as they ate the guppies and the mystery snail

Medium Discus
    This is just one classic problem for those unaware. They may look pretty when mixed in the same tank, but their compatibility and whether the tank has enough capacity to host them is something most beginners caught out on. Particularly some LFS just don't have an idea on fish compatibility/requirement doesn't help.

Larvae
    Hi Robdog

My daughter had the same grin as you as she dislikes guppies. She started off with six and ended up with 100's.

Obviously she didn't want to listen to her mother who advised against mixing them. Kids! Who would have em?
    (¯`·._)§andy(_.·`¯)