Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OAFI

Just an Egg

OAFI

Hi, just thought I would drop a line regarding OAFI (Oakleigh Aquarium Fish Importer, Melbourne Australia). I have read a few posts about this business and there has been mixed feelings.

I have known the owner for around 15 years (originally he worked for another business). He is a quiet man and somewhat shy. I have always found him to be helpful and knowledgeable. I have used his own products for 15 years also and I have found them to be excellent and resonably priced compared to "known" brands such as Sera. His Discus are superb (although we must remember that there are no guaratees when it comes to keeping pets). I drive 150kms to buy products and discus from him. His prices are good compared to some of the ridiculous prices I have seen for discus of a lesser quality.

So give him a go, I think you will find no better. And believe me, I have looked around for good discus that are not going to break the bank. And no, I have no interest in the business whatsoever.

Larvae
    Good to know atti, will be going on a buying trip down there in the next couple of months and always looking for new contacts.
    Pete

Wrigglers
    I bought my first discus from there, no issues with the stock at all.
    Also got a lot of Cardinal Tetras (best price in Melbourne i reckon) no issues there.
    Range can be small sometimes, just need to ring to find out when new shipments are due.

Roy

Tiny Fry
    I Reckon his got the best discus compared to all other lfs. His stock is healthy and grows fast and doesnt glow in the dark. The only thing is, sometimes he can run low on stock so as roy said give him a call first before going. Oh and you have to ring the bell first before you can go in which is a bit dodgey. And because the shop is really small he waits for you while you are looking which kinda makes you uncomfortable and abliged to at least buy something before you leave... maybe thats just me. Other than that his got great discus

Macs the melbourne man!

I agree with the above comments %100!

Larvae
    I bought a couple of pigeon bloods from him about two years ago. Attractive health fish - no problems with diseases of any kind.
    Also bought some cardinals recently - although I lost a few in translation, they are healthy and colourful.
    Never had to ring the bell to get in personally.
    Very knowledgable man & helpfulas.

Just an Egg

oafi

yes, i bought my first discus from him also

he is very helpful, but his prices have gone up
    quite abit from years back,
    but all his products are great, including all the water treatments
    he doesnt sell you anything you do not really need
    like some places, who push useless stuff on to you

but i must say none of my fish from him
    have every bred!

i wonder why?

discus
    starting up new tanks, lets get the party started

Larvae
    The two pigeon bloods truned out to be a pair and have put down eggs on a number of occassions. If I ever get around to making a breeding tank, I reckon they would go all the way.

Wrigglers
    Ive had eggs laid quite a few times, but never got wrigglers.

Roy

Free Swimmer
    Hi Discus 21

You must be doing something wrong.
    Every discus I have brought from have been great breeders.

brad.c