Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Discus buffer or other ways to lower pH

I originally intended to use HCl and bicarb to get my pH to around 6.8. However, after hearing some stories about pH crashes, I am not so sure.

Has anyone used discus buffer? How well does it keep the pH stable? How much do you generally use?

Is it easier just to use neutral regulator, since 7.0 is good enough?

What other alternatives are there?

San Merah Discus
    What kind of substrate have you got in there Fitty?

Eco complete with pool filter sand on top.

I have a bunch of driftwood in there too

San Merah Discus
    The DW migth help a little but only a little. Somehow my tank stays at around 6.4 so I don't have to add anything but a few people round here swear by the discus buffer I think.
    I used to filter through peat a while ago but started finding my ph down around 4.5. Nothing seemed stressed at all as I guess it was such a gradual drop and I never had many disease probs.

Problem is, my tap water is about 8.4. I need something to lower the pH before I put it in the tank.

use phosphoric acid.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by fiftycal
    Problem is, my tap water is about 8.4. I need something to lower the pH before I put it in the tank.
    use sera pH-minus safely lowers the pH value in freshwater aquariums. It is easy to dose.
    In case of pH values above 7.0 and KH values above 6 °dKH add 5 ml sera pH-minus per 20 litres of aquarium water. In case of pH values of 7.0 or lower and/or KH values below 6 °dKH add 1 - 2 ml sera pH-minus per 20 litres of water. Check the pH and KH values again after 12 hours. Repeat the addition if necessary.

Medium Discus
    I use discus buffer without any problems.

Two tsp per gallon. I started with 1 tsp per gallon and found out it was not enough to keep pH stable so I added one more. It depends on your water. You have to try it out and monitor the result over few days. You also need to add some directly into the tank for the first time too.

After that, just use it for the replacement water will be fine. I use a container to mix it with my new water using an air pump (no airstone since some of the airstone will leach Ca out and increase pH). The water get cloudy for about few minutes and clean up after that. I leave it with the air pump running for about 20 minutes while I drain and clean my tank. Then I just pump it into my tank.

Larvae
    I use discus buffer in every water change. My water used to be very stable & come out of the tap at 6.6 - 6.8 but now it has been coming out at 7.8 - 8.0.

I live on the Central coast and our dam level is at 12% so I wonder if they are doing something different to the water or maybe we are getting water from other areas?

Discus buffer keeps all of my tanks & water aging bin very stable, but I always check water before I add it to the tanks then check my tanks before and after a water change.
    (¯`·._)§andy(_.·`¯)

Just an Egg
    i too am looking for a way to lower ph but without using a phosphoric base (algae control) or peat; ideas?

does anyone know if something like Geo Liquid/Saechem product can do this (without phosphorus)?