View Poll Results: Should we move to Cairns??

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you still here?

3 8.57%
  • No, Sydney is great

1 2.86%
  • No, Sydney is an overpriced stinkhole. Put up with it!

2 5.71%
  • Yes move, but you won't last in the heat

3 8.57%
  • Palm trees, Barrier reef, w/season, a job fanging motor bikes up the Cape...Duh!!!!

13 37.14%
  • Heat, box jellyfish, cowsized mozzies, tourists....are you mental??

3 8.57%
  • This poll is useless

10 28.57%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I move?

Turquoise Discus
    Maybe the people in Melbourne just weren't up for cracks about Mt Drewitt - which I've gotta say, coming from Adelaide I don't get, but suspect I should be vaguly insulted.

Anyway, haven't you heard the best part about Adelaide?

"Adelaide - You Can Always Get A Park"

Good luck with the move - sounds like you've got your heart set on it!

San Merah Discus
    Yeah Kingkat has said nothing but good things. Stuff the poll!

I lived in Cairns for 12 months. Couldn't cope with the heat, so I moved down to Tassie. It is cold in winter, but it can also be stunning with the snow. It's not as cold as people think.

We do have really hot days in summer, but at least there is some relief at nightime, and you are able to sleep. I wouldn't live anywhere else now.

Wrigglers
    That's what air con is for!

Larvae
    The one thing I know I would miss most is the four seasons.
    I came close to living in Darwin still got property there but that heat every day after day after day.
    Its like a heat wave that we get here in Sydney but the southerly never comes.
    I spent some time in cairns but give me Darwin over Cairns any day
    JMO

Rat
    Primitive fish have been around for millions of years become an Ancient fish keeper
    .......................................Jurassic fish are tested with time.......................................

San Merah Discus
    Are a pool, a/c and the ocean not enough?? Not being funny, serious question.

Wrigglers
    I don't know how you can compare Darwin to Cairns. Darwin is like the Cape and the Gulf country but worse. Like you say it's a sauna that never ends. We get three hot sticky months here which incidentally make the fish breed like crazy especially when there are some lows around. Then we have a few months either side of winter which are great, warm sunny weather and then winter is three or four months of bliss. Everyone will say where they come from is best, it's just that I say Cairns is better!!!
    Cheers,
    David.

SnakeSkin Discus
    depends what ur after i spose ammusment parks etc, or back to nature "as i prefer"
    u do get used to the weather in Darwin if u can stick it out for a while.
    most of the places i lived in Darwin i didnt have aircon either or if i did i didnt use it bugger all...
    bag Darwin as much as u like, i loved it, just depends what ur after i spose and what kind of life u want to live...

Wrigglers
    Fish_r, I wasn't bagging Darwin mate I actually like it for a holiday and the markets there are the best in Australia. There's no amusement parks in Cairns and within an hours drive in any direction you have all the back to nature you can handle with reef, rainforest, and outback. It also has all of the advantages of a major city with international airport, university, major hospitals etc with a very laid back lifestyle. I think there are many beautiful places in Australia and two of m favourites are Mackay/Airlie Beach and the Sunshine Coast.
    Cheers,
    David.

San Merah Discus

Good points from both you guys thanks.
    The thing that appeals to me about Cairns to be honest is the reef and my increasing interest in marine tanks.
    And the hour each way thing is very attractive.
    Imagine not being as rich as Taksan and having a huge breeding pond of discus/apisto's in your backyard!
    Possible in Cairns and Darwin for that matter.
    It looks and sounds better everyday.

All I gotta do is track down Squid for some wilds