Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I Just wouldn't spend the money on a brand new ehim just to have it as a slave canister, the extra media volume is amazing, but best of all because the mech media is in the 1st caniter cleaning is easy, just clean the mech media canister once a month and the 2nd bio canister every 3 months or so.

the lower flow rate will only make your uv better but generally i like to turn a tank over atleast 2x an hour, 3x is even better imo but with 10L+ of filter media the biocapacity is pretty close to that of an eheim 2080 so 1.5-2x an hour should be fine.

removing the impeller just removes a flow restriction.

if i were you i'd put the 20281st and the 2217 2nd the reason is the 2028 uses 16mm inlet AND outlet houses, so you could conect the outlet of your 2020 to the inlet of the 2217 and not need a reducer (reducer = restriction = less flow).

also the 2028 is easier to clean and since this filter will be cleaned more often you may as well make it as painless for yourself as possible.

the other thing i would do is use a reducer on the outlet of the 2217 so go from 12mm hose to 16mm hose, less starin on the moter and that way you can use yout 2028 bends and spray bar which are much better then the 2217's

Sorry Jothy - just realised the 2nd one, the one that will be powered up, is a 2215.

Does this change anything?
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Yes it does 2215 uses 12mm hoses in and out you have to use it 2nd because if you put it first the 12mm hose will starve the 2028 for water (not enough flow.

just use some reducers, also try ans step the 2215 a little lower then the mech filter. these filters work on a siphonic intake, that is that gravity pulls water into the canister and pump pushes water out, they dont "suck" water very well at all. if you look at the above picture you see the powered canister is lower then the unpowerd canister for this reason.

Ok, so if that combination isn't ideal - then I could a 2028 / 2026 combination. Their hoses are the same.

In this combination, would I have the 2028 first?

Space in my cabinet is tight. I might be able to raise the first cannister a little, but not by much. If I raise it by a brick height, is that enough?

I think I understand the setup. The unpowered filter (the one first in line) has it's intake pipe in the tank. It's cannister is stocked in the usual manner. It's out pipe connects to the 2nd filter, which is powered up. That filter only has sponges & what not. If it only has sponges, is there any reason I need to keep using the baskets. Could I just pack it up with sponges?

As these two filters have the same size hoses & tubes, I wouldn't need to do anything fancy, such as using reducers, elbows, sleeves, etc? Or do I?

1st canister has its intake inthe tank, this canister is mech and bio filtration (say noodles sponges a little bio media) this filter gets cleaned often, second filter is bio media only, it gets cleaned rarely, as the 1st filter catches all the junk and muck from the tank.

1st filter has no impeller, 2nd filter is powered.
    1st filter is higher then 2nd filter so gravity can pull water from first into second.

classic series work better as the second filter they have their intake down the bottom not at the top, so you get a nice gravity drop into the canister. generally they have a higher Hmax then the pro series (2217 Hmax 2.3m vs 2028 Hmax 2.0m).

if your tank is only 300L a 2026 and a 2215 would still be overkill if you were to use the 2028 2026 combo power your 2028 that way you can elevate your 2026 and not run out of height in your cabinet, also the bigger bio volume of the 2028 would be wasted as a mech filter.

Well, I can still do it with 2215, but since that would involve reducers, and reducers = restrictions = reduced flow rate - that's what made me think of doing the 2026 / 2028 combo.

Out of the choices, which do you think is my best option:-

2026 / 2028 combo or
    2028 / 2215 combo

Is it worthwhile doing this at all?

thanks again

either option would be fine i'd still go the 2028/2215 but to be honest you'll have much better filtration if you just bite the bullet and have one at each end of the tank

Stuffs up the Back to Nature background I've been working on, if I have one on either end, but will think on it

Riviving this thread of Jothy's.

Could the baby eheim classic, the 2211 work as a prefilter if attached to pro 3 2075? I know the hoses are different sizes, but using those reducer thingys, I could fix that

Any issues with using the 2211?

bump