Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sponge Filters

Sponge Filters

Does anybody here know where you can get some serious sized sponge filters, preferably in Sydney...

Those small ones that most stores carry just dont cut it in my opinion, plus I want to add 2 to my next Discus tank... either a 95g (360L) or the 180g (680L) as the main and/or supplementary source of filration.

Larvae

hrmm

hrmm at that size you are probably best building your own sponge filter with pre fab sponges used for pond fountains and large filters...

use a sponge, a hole drilled stand pipe and a piece of slate on the bottom...

[/u]

...already done

just I wanted one of those cylindrical/octagonal type ones with a larger surface area and finer grade sponge thats all...

currently I have a large pond sponge rectangle with a modified internal piece from an old broken sponge filter in use, but I feel it doesnt do as good a job as the smaller one I have..

i bought this one the other day for $28 at Trans at canley vale
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

That looks good...

plenty of surface area by the looks of it...

thx

Hi, I'm New Here!

filter mediums

G'day all Please get your self of to a foam shop they have every type you could posibly think of &cut it to your specs the pool filter foam is fantastic,bright blue it is you cant miss it ,its not cheap but lasts for ever ,you can get stuff impregnated with carbon.Make sure you tell them what its for as some foams are not suitable for aquarium use .

my first reply
    jason
    FISHY FISH AQUARIUM & POND SERVICES

Hi, I'm New Here!
    thsi may seem like a silly question but here goes anyway.

Whats the theory behind the sponge filter, Ive used canister and hangon filters in the past but am interested in sponge filters as they appear to be widely used.

Thanks

fairly simple, the air or power head forces the water throw the sponge traping any waste in the sponge. The sponge will also grow bacteria for combatting ammonia and nitrites. Cleaning it is a the worry as you dont want to wash the "good" bacteria out, so when you clean it keep the power head running and put a bag or something over it then when you turn the air/power head of the waste/debris will fall into the bag. Then hook it back up and away you go. Its also good to have another sponge in the tank, even if its not operating the bacteria will grow on it so if the sponge does need cleaning you can swap them, give the operating sponge a good clean then sit it in the tank and do the swap again when you need to clean the other sponge.

Just be careful as the bacteria can be lost when cleaning, so thats why its a good idea to have the second sponge in a bare bottom. Gravel in a tank will hold bacteria but i would still have that second sponge just for the extra support.

HTH
    Scott

The most simple explanation is the large surface area that sponge filters contain which promote biological bacterial growth, and the ease of cleaning...

Personally, whilst there are many methods of cleaning I find it is easiest to have 2 sponge filters running, and on alternate weeks take one out of the tank, squeeze it a few times in OLD tank water (never tap water) and back it goes... just continue that in a cycle and you wont go wrong...

They are also great for breeding tanks as fry and juvies feed off the sponge....

Here are some pics of the sponge filters I use, there are 2 types, apart from my crude homemade ones...

Firstly there is the standalone large sponge with weighted base, and the stick on glass one, I use this in my Hoplogenys tank (Peppermint Bristlenose).