Thread: RGD

San Merah Discus
    Hi all,
    thanks for the comments

grant
    Those are the best I have seen to date in OZ
    thanks mate
    you sure theres not just as good out there
    what are these other strains you are after?
    i will give it a go in trying to get them for you

cheers Wayne

Larvae
    what's the difference between RGD and RM?

SnakeSkin Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by tao
    what's the difference between RGD and RM?
    RGD carry no pigeon blood gene so true RGDs display no peppering.

RM carry the pigeon blood gene and can display varying shades of peppering.

Free Swimmer
    Put some in a planted tanks and we will see if there any pb in them . I have few babies left from what we all thought where a rgd pairs that look like the fish in your last photo.

Brad

Medium Discus

fish

Wayne,

What am I after ?

Well if you can source these I will be impressed.

All of these around 7-8cm total length

1x Rose red (with single straight stress bars i.e no weird looking stress bars)
    1x White swan (With as good of an eye as possible i.e preferably no black spot near to the iris)
    2x Red eye blue diamond (These need to have clear red eye and good shape without a lump on the forehead that most BD's have)
    1x Red turk (needs to have nice colour contrast between blue and red colours on it - pattern doesnt matter so much)
    1x ring leopard (as much spotting as possible - right up to the gill plates)
    1x heckel hybrid (must have great shape though)
    1x "solomon diamond" with spotting up to and including gill plates

I will be truly impressed if you guys can source those at a good price.

The challenged has been layed down!!

G

Medium Discus

fish

Xtreme,

By the way - did you guys buy these RGD's directly from Mr Ung Seng Lip ?

Like as in you didnt use a middle-man/wholesaler to buy them ?

Like Crocky says, we have had "RGD's" before but not the real deal. But like I have said - these look to be legit from what I can tell from those pics. I have yet to see them in the flesh - I havent even been to Xtreme's store yet !

G

Larvae
    if RGD don't have pigeon blood and all the way come from brown. which as the name Red cover (san marah) cross pure Golden (also mution from brown), why doesn't show any trait of brown discus? I saw the RGD from SLS, quite like brown, even with blue fin circle, but not so red. I guess RGD in the picture have pigeon blood, the R is red melon rather than red cover, or the G is not pure golden. so this looks like a clear version of red melon. 'true'(no pigeon) RGD is ugly and intermedia fish, only albino true rgd is the real beauty and god price terminal product. so why everyone chase true RGD? why not a high quality red melon? just my point, if not right, please someone correct it.

Larvae
    one more idea for pigeon blood solid red: no pepper no nice red. the balance these two create top melon. the reason why very clear melon, red can't cover all the body.
    pigeon blood is the same, no pepper no nice pattern, have to cross back turqoise again to get the pattern, but together with the pepper. pepper, red, pattern (blue), all come from pigment sentimental.
    just some crazy idea.

lets not forget that they're only 9cm and there's quite a bit of colour yet to come. they've probably been in 5 different places in the last month plus the flight from Malaysia, so they wouldn't be looking their best. I think the females should be a very nice red by the time they mature.
    As for pigeon blood vs non, I prefer clean pigeon blood red-melons, till the time it comes to breeding them. It can get very frustrating at times.
    As for the RGD/pigeon debate, could someone toss them in with some foliage and end the debate.

Medium Discus

fish

I think if anything this RGD debate is healthy rather than destructive.

Some forum members have been rorted before with "RGD's" by a certain ex-sponsor here. So that the same doesnt happen again I think its reasonable enough to have discussions like this.

Personally, I hate anything which is PB based. Looks like ass after they are full size.

G