Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SnakeSkin Discus
    Just for information sake.... I have used levamisole (the Big 'L' Pig and poultry one) and it did not affect my pleco, b/n, gibbicep or clown Loaches. I researched very thoroughly to find out what affect it would have if any on my fish and all these fish that are normally susceptible to meds were fine using the standard dose of 1ml per 7 litres. HTH

I cannot speak for the avian form but I can for Big L.
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

Medium Discus
    the active ingredient is (in researched literature) very safe
    it is paralysing agent that works on nictonic receptors and also alter energy metabolism in nematodes
    these affects will occur in fish at higher dose's and hence the inappetance and darkening of colour at high dosage that has been recorded

I know that there are some bad reports about levamisol , i have not read anything published in a scientific text to support these internet claims

I have seen dose's upto 10mgs/l claimed as being used on the internet, gain not supported by anything i have read in print

Levamisol is also thought to be an immunomodulator and is now widely usedt o support human patients whilst undergoing chemotherapy regimes

As far as waiting on signs , most of these worm problems are hard to see until they are well advanced, infection was recorded in approx 7% of wild caught fish , it is only once increased numbers in stressed fish occur that debilitation occurs
    I would if you are happy with the product try and treat most of your fish , either in the main tank or not
    I have only experienced this problem once and i lost the first fish to it , it slowly worked through my main tank until i had sourced medication and treated it ..in my case the problem had a 6 week head start and after 1 tank treatment and no gravel vacumning i saw it never again
    again ancedotal

andrew

Larvae
    Sammi and Andrew,

Thanks for this. It looks like my peppermints and borneo suckers might be ok if I use Big L, then. Given that, I might treat the main tank. I'll see how things develop.

Will this treatment kill my gold mystery snails?

p.

Medium Discus
    i dont know
    i would have guess'd that lower order mollusc have more likely chance of sharing similar neuromuscular transmitters and energy metabolism
    then again no efficacy claims against flukes or other organsisms... just the nematodes

try a mystery snail in a cup with a small dose of levamisol and find out for yourself

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by fishgeek
    I know that there are some bad reports about levamisol , i have not read anything published in a scientific text to support these internet claims
    I do on occasion get very bad reactions when using levimasole, the fish get very skittish and go absolutely psyco when anyone approaches the tank, also they go completely off food for a few days.

A couple of times I have ended up with very badly damaged fish after a levimasole treatment. On transferring them to a clean tank they return to normal quite rapidly.

On other occasions (which is most of the time) I have had no problems at all. Do you think it has something to do with water chemistry ? I haven't been worming my fish lately, because I am too petrified to do it unless I find a suitable alternate.

what about using it in a food mix ?

This thread contains some very valuable information. I'm making it a sticky.

Many thanks to all for their valuable input.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    hi all,

does levamisloe have any side effects on aquarium plants ???
    i thought i read from somewhere that levamisole will do no good to your aquarium plants ... any input ??

cheers,

andrie

From my experience, it does no harm to aquarium plants.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    thanks ladyred ...

Medium Discus
    levamisol is known to cause anorexia at higher dose's so inappetance would be direct drug effect

change in behaviour may have something to do with change in water parameter when medication is added?
    anyone tested things like ammonia? etc pH anything else that may fluctuate with medication

andrew