Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish not happy

fish not happy

hi guys i had a ammonia spike yesterday after medicating with ocozin so i did a big warer change last night it has nocked my guys for six , was just wondering shold i run some carbon in my fillter for a few day to see if it takes the meds out . i dont use it how ever after reading things on here need to know if now is a good time to start . sorry repost here sorry guys thanks for any help

Keep doing water changes Scott until your ammonia reading comes down to zero.

You can also use carbon in your filter for a few days to remove the last of the medication.

Get yourself some Seachem Prime which will not only get rid of the chlorine and chloramine in the tap water, it will help to neutralize the ammonia and nitrite in your tank.

If you've wiped out your bio filter, then your tank is going to recycle again, and Prime added daily will help to keep the ammonia in it's non toxic state, so you fish are safe during the cycle progress.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

thank merrilyn will do

strange that octozin does that, i got a spike on the second day of treatment, was it the same with you ? did a 70% water change and lowered the ph to 6 and finished the course of treatment.
    i didn't feed at all and yet there was a ammonia reading the next day so maybe its got to do with the medication itself rather than the biofilter taking a pounding ??
    next time maybe try a acidic ph (around 6 ?) when treating with octozin ?

Larvae
    When I have used octozin I also have had an ammonium spike, after the third dose. I didn't need to do major water changes as the spike was not so big and pH was <7.0. My tank settled within a couple of days and my fish went gang busters after that.

If the bio-filter is knocked out then you will see a big rise in ammonium. I think the octozin either slows the bio-filter a bit or introduces some sugar or other nutrient.

Perhaps an email to waterlife for clarification is called for?

mine was a sterile tank with no filter and no food so there shouldn't have been a spike on the second day

Medium Discus
    prehaps the ammonia is a degradation product of the actual therapeutic agent

andrew

Larvae
    Hmmm.... very interesting!!!!

any better Scott ?

no still at the end at the top looking very sad