PDA

View Full Version : Algae eaters in breeding tank?

Chris McMahon
Sun Sep 12, 2004, 08:15 AM
The Golden Pigeon Blood Pair (http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=915) is got a few weeks ago finally laid 3 days ago. About 30-40 eggs, I was lucky enough to notice the female laying them at the time. They had little black spots in the centre on 95% of them on day 2 so it looked like the male had fertilised them ok. Unfortunately on the morning of day three the eggs were eaten by one or both of the parents the night before.

The pair is back to mating displays so I'd assume they'll have another go soon.

One thing I've got an issue with is the build up of brown algae in the breeding tank. Mostly on the plants, but also on all the walls.

In my other tanks, Bristlenose, Cories, American Flag Fish and Royal Whiptails take care of most of the algae. Green-spot (to a lesser degree on my Anubius) and staghorn (A major PITA) being the only algae that I have issue with.

I've removed all the Wisteria (put in for its fast growth and nutrient absorption abilities, as well as its ammonia reduction) as they were the main anchor point for the algae.

Do you think it's worth cleaning them and putting them back, or should I just bin them (other tanks are full)?

And are there any algae eaters that are safe (ie won't eat the eggs or hassle the discus) for a breeding tank? Or would I be better off with something like a UV steriliser?

wyldchyld01
Sun Sep 12, 2004, 10:41 AM
hey chris,

personally, having the same problem with algae, i am looking at UVC...there has been a couple of posts on this forum about them and the benefit they have in killing off pathogens as well as algae.

i have also had issues with "algae eaters" other than small bn's attaching to the sides of the discus.

spend a small amount for a big benefit in my mind

Brenton

Chris McMahon
Sun Sep 12, 2004, 12:53 PM
i am looking at UVC...there has been a couple of posts on this forum about them and the benefit they have in killing off pathogens as well as algae.I've got one on my 30" tank. It cleared up the water clarity and green spot algae seems gone, but it hasn't done anything to stop the staghorm algae in the tank. I have a few algae eaters in the tank as well, so I haven't seen any brown algae in there, before or after I stalled the UV.

spend a small amount for a big benefit in my mindA small external UV is about $90 or so. I suppose that's not really expensive, but a single bristlenose at $6 is cheaper still.

Anyone else care to add their 2¢?

flukes
Sun Sep 12, 2004, 01:39 PM
I keep pepp bn's in all my discus tanks, grow outs and breeding.
They do a great job on the algea and dont bother the discus at all. They keep too themselves alot and do a great job cleaning.

I havent had a problem with the attaching too the discus, although i have been told it does happen so i wouldnt tell you it doesnt.

Pepp bn's are a little more expensive, but they look great!!

Mattzilla
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 01:19 AM
i would pop the plants into another tank with some bn in them to give them a quick clean and put them back into the breeding tank. also BEFORE your pair lay again i would give the tank walls a wipe down.

hth

Chris McMahon
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:43 AM
I keep pepp bn's in all my discus tanks, grow outs and breeding.
They do a great job on the algae and don't bother the discus at all. They keep too themselves a lot and do a great job cleaning.

I haven't had a problem with the attaching too the discus, although i have been told it does happen so i wouldn't tell you it doesn't.

Pep bn's are a little more expensive, but they look great!!Ok thanks. I might pick up a bristlenose or two when I'm at my LFS next. As for peppermint bns - arn't they just slightly different markings to normal bns? 10x the price of normal bns seems excessive to me, or am I missing something?

i would pop the plants into another tank with some bn in them to give them a quick clean and put them back into the breeding tank. also BEFORE your pair lay again i would give the tank walls a wipe down.I already cleaned the tank when I removed the plants. The plants were easy to clean in a couple of buckets. Brown algae is easy to get off.

kalebjarrod
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:37 AM
algee can be the result of too much light, not enough CO2

give the plants some more co2 and they will use the nutrients that a algee needs to grow

reduce the light for a week down to 3 hours MAX

this should fix it, if it dosen't add another week