PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Discus

WinnY
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 06:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

Today I was shocked to see my discus lying on the bottom of the tank

This discus is my favourite and it is the discus on my avatar.

It was last seen to swim frantically in the community tank (5 other discus) and ramming its head on the glass. It did this 3 times and then the 4th was the killer :cry: :cry:.

Are there anyways to prevent this in happening in the future?

The water parameters are:
pH 6
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Temp. 29 Degrees

I was thinking that maybe i need to cover the sides and bottom of the tank with paper or paint to reduce shock/stress.

I look forward to hearing other peoples input.

FishLover
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 09:39 PM
You should always cover the bottom of the tank with something that would not let the light through. Discus get confused when they are placed in a tank without the bottom covered.

If they started swiming frantically, I would say something in the water was bother them. Maybe something changed in your local water source? Or, less de-chlro was put in the tank?

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 11:26 PM
Ohhh Winny, that's such a shame. And he was a beautiful discus too :(

Fish lover is correct in that it's usually a water problem when discus swim frantically through the tank and hit the ends.

You've done your water tests, and all seems okay, but perhaps there is something in there that you're not testing for. Usually, and I stress usually, when fish do that, a big water change can settle them down.

Hitting the ends of the tank at speed can cause fatal brain damage, and in this case, it seems it happened so quickly, there was nothing you could have done. Covering the ends of the tank may help, or even some heavy planting at the ends could slow them down.

But I've had it happen in my tanks on occasions, and I could never trace the cause. It's almost as if they've been bitten by something, and they're trying to flee.

Sorry I can't offer a better explanation.

Hope your other fish are still doing well.

nicholas76
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 03:29 AM
what about your ammonia reading?