PDA

View Full Version : Alenquer Albino Critique Please

mistakes r crucial
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hi,

To get the ball rolling, here is an Alenquer Albino that I've had for a while. I like this fish and he's a good parent but he does have a slight imperfection or two. What do you think?
MAC

samir
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:32 PM
one of the best ones I've seen here, but still not a patch on some of the pics I've seen from SE Asia. Here's some info I found on grading discus from a Thai site, I don't think yours would qualify if they are to be believed.
Specification for premium grade discus:
Sizes: Measuring from nose to end-tail
Lenght=Height
2.0" = 2.2" up (5.59 cm)
2.5" = 2.7" up (6.86 cm)
3.0" = 3.2" up (8.13 cm)
4.0" = 4.2" up (10.69 cm)
Adults = 5.2-6.5" (13.2- 16 cm)
*Adult size depending on fish gender

G-1000
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 12:46 AM
MAC,

There are major flaws with that fish.

It has several black dots which seem to resemble amphibious creatures on it.

I recommend you give it to me so I can cull it for you.

G

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
He does have flaws but that aint one of them lol. Notice the little bump he has at the top of his head, looks like someone took a hammer to him but only hit him once. He shouldn't have that, it should be one nice curve from the tip of his nose all the way round, no deviation whatsoever for anyone that has just started with Discus. I might add he's producing some nice shaped fry.

Thanks for the feedback.
MAC

*Chris*
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 06:10 AM
his breedig capabilitoes would be the only thing that mattered to me
if his fry are perfect then he is a good fish but i suppose not all people would think like that

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 07:06 AM
Chris,

With all due respect mate, you missed the point. This is all about aesthetics and the way they look, nothing to do with breeding.
MAC

mcloughlin2
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 08:51 AM
Certainly a very nice fish

All the fins look to be in proportion.

He displays a nice red eye, which is also a nice small size (Indicating good growth)

He has a nice round body except for the small kink in his head (Sure he didnt get on your nerves one day? :lol: )

Has a nice colour throughout his body along qith nice striations on his head.

He is certainly a keeper, just make sure to cull any fry that show the small notch in the head (If your only breeding the best).

Am I being critical enough? LOL

Sam :)

*Chris*
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 10:15 AM
well ok then he has a bump in his head flush him LOL
hahahahah

mcloughlin2
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 10:58 AM
MAC my above post sounds like I'm sorta having a go at you. Just want to make it clear i wasn't.

Sam :P

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 07:18 PM
Smart a*s Chris lol. He's already in the freezer after you told me to cull him.

Sam,

How did you work that out? Having a go at me, I don't think so. I thought a section like this would be helpful for alot of people new to Discus as there are quite a few threads on what to look for and what to avoid. I also thought it would be interesting to see what's out there so come on peeps, let's see what you've got and don't be shy lol.
MAC

Dee
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hello Mac,

Evaluating the aesthetics of any discus can be tricky as everyone has different things they look for. Due to the angle of the pic you posted it's a little tricky to get an idea of the true shape of the fish, none the less here's my input.

1. The hard rays of the dorsal fin seem some what blunt in areas and uneven, they should form a nice smooth rounded curve.

2. The little bump at the base of the start of the dorsal fin seems pronounced giving the fish the 'hammered' look you mentioned earlier. You will find most Discus have this bump to varying degrees. Have a look at Wayne Ng's Angel Diamond line he breeds for example, they have a very pronounced 'bump', I personally like the bump ... but it should accompany a very nice rounded forehead and not be overly pronounced IMO.

3. The forehead on this fish seems to protrude a little too far for my tastes, IMO from the dorsal bump to the mouth should be a very nice outwardly rounded curve, this fish seems to be somewhat angular in that area. This is what is giving the fish the 'hammered' look, in conjunction with the pronounced dorsal bump.

4. From the chin to the start of the anal fin also seems rather angular too IMO, detracting from the nice round shape ... although it could be the angle of the pic. This seems to give the fish a slightly pointed look as opposed to nicely rounded.

The eye seems to be well proportioned to the rest of the body and the pectoral fins seem to be well positioned on the body. The caudal fin (tail) looks a little large in relation to the rest of the fish, again that could be the pic.

Overall a nice fish, although not show quality or 'A grade' .... 7/10

Cheers,

Dee :D

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback Dee.
MAC

Dee
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:32 AM
Heya MAC,

No probs, hoefully I wasn't overly critical !

Cheers,

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:49 AM
Not at all, that's what this section is all about.
MAC

ozarowana
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 10:12 AM
Adding to what Dee said.

I beleive the positioning/spacing of his caudal fin in relation to his dorsal and anal fin are a bit off. This gives his caudal fin a drooping appearance (might be the angle of the pic).

He could do with a bit more anal fin (towards the front), which will help with giving an overall more rounded appearance.

He has a nice chin and eye, colour and pattern are all good.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback Oz. I think Dee hit the nail on the head when he said its a nice fish but not A grade or show quality.
MAC

samir
Thu Nov 30, 2006, 06:10 AM
how would you rate the same section these fish, as opposed to the albino ???

mcloughlin2
Thu Nov 30, 2006, 06:42 AM
Samir,

#1 has the bump just before his dorsal fin, but it also displays a notch/bump in his head at eye level. It also seems have have somewhat a beak mouth instead of a nice smooth curve.

#2 Has a very 'Flat' head instead of displaying a curved/ rounded face.

#3 In my opinion displays the best shape and demonstrates a nice rounded face.

All the above fish shows excellent signs of growth (Extremely small eyes) and display great patterns/colour.

I won't even try to get into the more complicated stuff as I'm not anywhere near qualified enough to do that. I can only comment on the basics.

Sam

samir
Thu Nov 30, 2006, 08:03 AM
imo the albino looks better than at least two, if not all of them.

ozarowana
Thu Nov 30, 2006, 08:38 AM
What is show grade and what is A grade? Are these the same?

I'm sure everyone will agree that show grade fish are very rare.

So what makes an A grade fish?

IMO an A grade fish is one which has a nice rounded appearance and does not have major flaws (bad gills, eyes, bent spines etc). They also have nice colour and are healthy.

You can call anything else whatever you want. :lol: I don't believe in AAA, AA+ etc.

In the REAL WORLD the albino alequer is probably at the lower end of an A.

samir
Thu Nov 30, 2006, 08:49 AM
I don't believe in AAA, AA+ etc.
AAA grade and AA+ grade can be found wherever there's a high grade of bullsh1t.

Dee
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 02:51 AM
Hi All,

I was always under the impression that 'A Grade' just meant the best of a particular batch (spawn) ie: shape, form and markings etc.

As for 'AA' and 'AAA+' not really sure .. it's not really a grading system I believe in. As for Show Grade, well that really speaks for its self ... being a fish that would be of competition/show grade.

Dee :)

dswwong
Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:37 AM
May I suggest that future submissions for this particular section to please take a few photos of the same fish from various angles.

Just one view in fact does not do justice to the fish and is also rather difficult to make in depth comments, if any.

Reillin
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:44 AM
I also suggest that all photography is done at right angles to the fish tank. The camera at a slight angle will distort the fish, due to refraction through the water and glass.

To stop the glare from the flash, use remote flashes or a few tank lights which should illuminate it enough so that a flash is not necessary.

Cheers,
Vien.

G-1000
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 05:57 AM
I would have said exactly what Dee has said.

Although I wouldnt have bothered to make a diagram of it :P

hehe

G

Dee
Sun Dec 24, 2006, 01:39 AM
Although I wouldnt have bothered to make a diagram of it :P

LOL G-1K :P Guess this at home dad has got too much much time on his hands hehe :roll:

Cheers,