PDA

View Full Version : first time, wanna get it right.

diveboy
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 06:10 AM
Hi all,

having moved house a few months ago, I decided to move my main tank which has been empty since the move this weekend, needless to say, during the move that dreaded "crack" sound was heard followed by a few choice words.

So off to the shops to find a new tank, we have decided that an aqua one Royale 120 would look great in the house, so it's arriving in 2 weeks time.

I have had angels, kissing gouramis and had a successful 2 year stint with breading Blue Acaras to the point of giving away 30-40 at a time to keep the tank levels down.

I want to take the plunge into Discus since I'm starting fresh.

the tech specs of what I have.

aquaone 120 (290litres, 120wx46dx70h)
2x Fluval 204
several heaters, air pumps.
Light which hasn't been on for 9 months, so will replace most likely replace.

I'm going to drop one of the fluvals at a mates house for a week or two to get it off to a good start.

as well as Discus, I would like to heavily plant the tank.

I'm thinking 4 Discus and a couple algae eaters to keep the tank clean.

I've read some posts and will continue reading, but hoping you can all help me in making choices.

I have the following questions

1. I want to plant the tank, so what is the best substrate to use with Discus ?
2. undergravel filter compatabile with question 1 ? (I have had mixed blessings with undergravel filters and prefer to go with out them)
3. I'm thinking of running both 204s on the tank, which would turn the water 4 times an hour. whats the best way to set this up ? spray bar ? and if using an undergravel filter, running one of the 204s via it instead of a powerhead.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Michael.

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:09 AM
Welcome to the forum Michael. I'll answer your second question first. I don't like undergravel filters in planted tanks or in discus tanks. If you've ever lifted up the filter plates, I think you'll know what I mean.

I think the canisters you are planning on using will be fine. Discus don't like too much current, so using spray bars directing the water across the surface of the tank will work well.

As for substrate, there are a lot of good plant substrates on the market, and if you want to go for a heavily planted tank, they are definately worth the investment.

scott bowler
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 06:45 AM
hi michael welcome to the forum and have fun anyway like ladyred think the undergravel filter is not a good idea .to many things can go wrong with ammonia and and the mess that bulds up .so best of luck with it all and keep us posted on how you go.

diveboy
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 09:26 AM
thanks for the welcome Merrilyn & Scott.

undergravel filter is off the list, spray bars are on order.

I've decided to try the hydor inline heaters (found positive posts on here about them), just wondering if I should put one on each filter, or will one be enough ?

an option in the future is to have a UV filter as well, so I was hoping to have the heater on one filter and the UV on the other filter ? anyone had any experience with dual filters and inline heaters ?

FishLover
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hydor heaters is a no no foe me. I have few of them and they really are not good. They some times get stuck to a heating position and up my water temp more than few times I would like already.

Mine is not the inline ones BTW.