PDA

View Full Version : appistos in sydney

Nathan
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
hey guys ive left this a bit late but im going to sydney tomorrow for the weekend an i have monday before the flight spare, so i was wondering where there are some good fish shops near manly area?

also any good quality appistos stores?

also does anyone know if you can take fish on as hand luggage on jetstar?

Noddy65
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 10:17 AM
Hi Nathan
I know you cant take fish on as hand luggage in any airline in Aus now, Ive recently spoken to Jetstar, Virgin and Qantas about it....I think with Jetstar you may not even be able to have them put in the hold on your flight...I dont think they carry any animals at all....Id give them a call to find out.

Mike

Nathan
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 11:12 AM
wow, that sucks!

i thought you could with at least qantas take them on with you?

it doesnt matter if i cant take them back, its just ive got a small spare tank (spare gear aswel, filter light etc) and im wanting to get a pair an have a crack at breeding them, and i was just wondering if theres any quality places in sydney while im up there.

hey mike can you recomend any species to have a go at?

i want a pair that look really good an unique, while at the same time cheap (nothng over $100), ive got the fishkeeping thing down pretty well so im confident in my ability to keep them alive an thriving.

any suggestions of what im looking for?

Robdog
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 01:43 PM
....so im confident in my ability to keep them alive an thriving.

Hahahahahaha Don't go anywhere near apisto's then. You'll ruin your good record Nathan. Just kidding kind of! I think I'm only just coming to terms with the fact that I will always lose good fish. No matter how well I look after them. Having said that, it's always good to see others getting into apisto fever.

If you are going to the Manly area then there's not much around that side of the bridge. There's an aquarium IN Manly near the cricket oval and tennis courts, can't think of the name. Surprisingly I got my best Cockatoo females from there and the last one died just recently from old age I think. (Old age death is pretty rare with these guys I think) That was a long time ago and there hasn't been much since.

There are two other places nearby. One at Balgowlah next to Harvey Norman. Again I don't know the name and the best I've seen in there was about 4 Dicrossus filamentosa. The other is Hi-Tek at Brookvale which is probably your best chance for apisto's and even then I doubt they'll have any. Probably deformed cacs is about it. :roll:

Hope this doesn't ruin your plans for Monday. Probably best to do the shops around Bondi and airport area if you can.

HTH

Robdog
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 01:45 PM
What's wrong with the A. baenschi you've got now?
I'd say they are one of the best looking apisto's in the country right now.

Th0mas
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 01:55 PM
Hi Nathan,

I know there are some sp. Rio Mamore in BNC (Matraville) came in last week or two, might still have some available. They usually sell a pair for around the $80 mark.

The fish on the cover page of Romer's Atlas is the one (male).

Cheers,
Thomas.

parkap
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 10:25 PM
Nathan,

The shop at Manly Rob referred to is called Manly Aquarium World - not to be confused with manly Aquarium which is a public aquarium. I only go there for their plants if I'm looking for something out of the ordinary. (Particularly as it's a long drive for me.)They usually have a good plant selection. Here's a link to the shop's website:
http://www.aquariumworld.com.au/
They've never had any apisto's when I've gone in there.

Another shop on the north side of the bridge is Fishculture. here are the details:
Fish Culture
316 Military Rd Cremorne NSW 2090
ph: (02) 9904 0599

They don't stock apisto's unless I get them to order me some, but it's a great little shop that I know look after their stock well and keep things clean. Often have some good odd plants as well. I got my CO2 unit from them, plus am getting a 3ft set up from them at the moment.

South of the bridge
The Matraville shop Thomas mentioned, BNC (often written as B&C) had a new load of cac's, blue rams, and rio mamore released from quarantine two weeks ago. They also had one pair of agazissii tefe left two week ago when I was last there, plus quite a few discrosus filamentosus(?). They had two pairs of yellow/blue borellii left then as well - I picked up three pairs of that shipment :D . I think Barry (shop owner and big apisto fanatic - also a good guy) also had a few apisto varities due to come out of quarantine soon. I'm waiting for him to get some veijita in. I just picked up 2 pairs of yellow/gold veijita's from him but he also gets the best quality standard veijita's I've seen of any shop. The markings are always so striking. Here's the shop details:
B & C Aquarium
490 Bunnerong Rd Matraville NSW 2036
ph: (02) 9311 7799

[advisor edit]Banned commercial entity removed[/edit]

The only other place I know of that has apisto's, or usually does is Aquapet. Thomas got his Elizabethae from there. (Thomas, do you know if they've still got any in?) I don't like to recommend Aquapet, Bondi Junction, to anyone nowadays, as I've been burnt too many times by them with very poor quality / deformed / mis-labelled fish.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Robdog
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 11:48 PM
Last time I was in Aquapets, there were only 3 elizabethae left and I took one of them. They were all pretty small and all looked female from their body shape. I don't think anyone would buy them at the asking price unless they were specifically after a female eliza as I was. There was some baenschi in there too but not real colourful as they have had in the past.
I've never had any problems with their quality. Only drawback is that most of the apisto tanks are densely planted and hard to get anything out.

Nathan
Fri Nov 24, 2006, 02:29 AM
A. baenschi there ok but IMO not really really great looking, specially since the whole lots is female (i think!?)

i dnt mind losing a few fish its dissapointing but its gonna happen now an then!

doesnt look like ill be able to take any back so it doesnt matter, just wanting to have a look around.

i think if im gong to be buying a pair of appistos itl be from finalnd on pascoevale in melbourne, they got some awesome ones (was to scared to ask the price though, lol).

anyway thanx for your help guys an ill tlk to u in a few days time!

Th0mas
Fri Nov 24, 2006, 05:23 AM
I still have male baenschi available, not many to go :)

And plenty of females too.

Thomas.