PDA

View Full Version : Am i ready for Discus??

r0b3y
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 02:39 AM
hey there well i've been wanting to get some disuc in a very long time here is my setup..

4.5ft x 18 x 24 (360lts)
latrite/2mm gravel
Filtration: jebo 819 (1200lph)
and will be running a fbf shortly
temp: 28
ph: 6.6
gh: low (melb tap water)

fish:
-tetras(rummynose, cardinal, congo)
-ottos
-dwf neon rainbow
-peppermint bn
-corys
-sae's

tank has been running for over 6 months
i would like to get about 6 discus..
is 28 degrees ok for them i'm scared if i go higher ill melt my plants?
also my congos are very fast to the food will this be a problem with the slow eating discus?
20% weekly water change..

thx in advance
r0b3y

Nathan
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 04:45 AM
everything looks good, the only things id change is up your w/c with discus, some say 2x 50% w/c a week, which i thnk is rubbish, i do 1 40% w/c a week an the discus love it.

also you may find problems with the congos out competeing your discus for food, so if you wanna be on the safe side get rid of them.

28 is fine, a lot of ppl try an keep it higher byut yea 28 should be fine (no lower though!!).

samir
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 04:53 AM
some say 2x 50% w/c a week
the more the better, with juveniles the more water you change the faster they grow, and its not just a small difference its huge.

Nathan
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 09:47 AM
yea with juvinilles thatd be recomended, yeah the more the better but if your like me an your a busy lazy person then you can get away with a lot less.

Merrilyn
Fri Nov 24, 2006, 03:36 AM
Welcome to the forum.

If you're getting juvenile or sub adult discus, then a 30% waterchange twice a week is the absolute minimum.

You'll see the difference in the way your fish react and play after a waterchange. They love it.

If you are getting adult discus, then you can get away with one water change a week, but it will need to be around 50% at least.

If you find you can't do frequent waterchanges, then you really need to think about getting some different fish, and not discus. Angels are a beautiful fish, and not as demanding on water quality.