PDA

View Full Version : Damaged fins?

iceweasel
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 05:55 AM
My Discus was caught behind a tube style heater this evening. It may have been a few minutes or as long as two hours. When I gently pried the Discus out, it swam and it appears to be ok with one exception. Two of the front fins are apparently "locked" up tight against the body. They happen to be the two fins that were next to heater. I don't if that means anything or not.

Assuming the poor thing is ok, is there is anything that can be done about the fins? It's a beautiful and very playful fish. I'll be sad if it's now going to struggle through life shy of two fins.

Any help is great appreciated.

Thank you.

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the forum iceweasel. It's a terrible shame that your discus managed to get himself caught behind the heater, but things like this do happen.

First thing to do is isolate the fish in a hospital tank, and treat the burn with some rock salt or cooking salt in the water. The dose rate is 1 heap teaspoon per 40 litres (or 10 gallons) of water. After 24 hours, add another heap teaspoon per 40 litres, so your concentration is now 2 heaped teaspoons per 40 litres.

This will ease the stress the fish is suffering from, and help to increase the slime coat coating, which will help to prevent infection in the affected area.

You mention that two fins on one side are affected. I guess you are talking about the pectoral fin, the one used for swimming, and perhaps the ventral fin, which is the long fine fin hanging under the body.

The pectoral fin is the main fin used for swimming, although the fish will compensate by using other fins.

Hopefully it won't come to that, and the fin will recover fully.