PDA

View Full Version : sick sick fish in ICU

skoom
Wed Sep 08, 2004, 02:26 PM
I have a 3'' discus who remains sick. (the others are fine for now... =( )

Anyway, the fish's fins are clamped, has thick whitish mucus all over with a few 'spot's of mucus. I don't think this is whitespot though.... These symptoms have come up over the last two days....

can this be velvet?

can this be slime disease?

Also it likes to stay at the surface of the tank, with its head above the water...

I hope i can get a pic soon and upload it before it's too late.....(need to get camera first...)

currently in a 30L hospital tank. I've added multicure because i don't know exactly what is wrong. I've also added salt (1tblsp)

What else do I need to do?

Please help me save my fish.. Thanks.

skoom :cry:

flukes
Wed Sep 08, 2004, 02:41 PM
First wait too see your results from the multi cure and salt, if after 36 hours he is still sick i would be researching velvet desease. Its very hard to diagnose over the net. The best judge in this case is you, because you can see how they are doing.

See how the multicure goes if you see no improvment i suggest getting some carbon and putting it into your filter, this is too remove the meds.
Then if you do thinks its velvet find a specific velvet cure.

Just make sure you remove thoughs meds other wise your tank will be a cocktail of meds and the fish will be worse of then in the first place.

skoom
Wed Sep 08, 2004, 11:55 PM
watching it very carefully.....he was a bit horizontal when i woke up this am.....fearing the worst.....critical condition..... =(

will keep posting....

skoom
Thu Sep 09, 2004, 11:56 PM
it's dead.

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 12:12 PM
So sorry to hear your little friend died. It sounds to me like you did everything possible. Glad to hear your other fish are still ok.

skoom
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:14 AM
I was wondering if my 30L tank is too small to be a quarantine/hospital....

I just felt he never got better once i moved it...

thanks.

weird
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:42 PM
I think the dangers of hospital tanks is that they have not been properly cycled. Fishless cycling could be a great tool to always having the tank ready.

fishpimp
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:07 AM
sorry to hear of the loss DR skoom,