PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Nose - A journey (56K warning)

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 08:51 AM
Hi

Due to my recent love for catfish I acquired myself a large group of common bristle nose (ancistrus sp3).

My large group is spread out over 2 different tanks.

Tank 1

Is a 2x18x18 tank
I run a 700L internal filter, a corner box filter and a hand on the back type filter on this tank.

PH is stable at 6.5-7.0 and temp is set at 24C.
This tank consists of numerous caves including terracotta pots, bamboo tubes, and pieces of slate.

It has a thin layer of sand on the bottom as I believe it looks far better then gravel and makes it impossible for fry to get stuck underneath it. I feed my bristle nose zucchini, cucumber and peas. If I have any I will sometimes feed a cube of frozen bloodworms to add some protein to the diet.

The breeding group consists of:

1 Large male @ 12-14cm
4 Large females @ 10-13cm
2 Smaller Female Albino Bristle nose @ 6-7cm

Tank 2

Is a 4x14x20 55G tank which has a 1500L canister filter running on it, and soon to be some power heads.

I have pool filter sand as my substance, which I will convert to sand next opportunity I get for easier maintenance. I use terracotta pots as caves in this tank with some large Amazon swords to provide some shaded areas in the tank.

The group in this tank has not breed as it only has 2 females.

All together I have 8 Males and 2 females in this tank all between 6-12cm.

I keep several bloodlines in my group to try to produce the best quality fry possible. 1 Bloodline was sourced from QLD, another from a guy near me, some are the offspring of the two bloodlines mentioned already and I have 2 other lines from around NSW.

I have only had the new breeders for a month and I already have had one spawning. The spawning occurred in the 2x18x18 tank. I had up to 4 females lay eggs with the one male! I’m still not certain as to what factors influenced the spawn as the day prior to the first signs of breeding I did a 10% Water change with cooler water, there was a fair bit of rain and I accidentally unplugged my heater!

The first signs of breeding I witnessed were the male frantically swimming in and out of his bamboo tube. He would swim out and fan his fins and swim back in. However I believe the females make the first move as earlier that day I witnessed some females sitting near the male’s log.

The actually spawning process lasted 5 nights and 4 days. The first night no eggs were laid. I did notice the male had a female trapped in the cave but it wasn’t until the next day that any eggs were laid.

Over the next 4 days the females went in and out laying eggs and “Courting” the male. After the spawning was done, about half the top wall of the tube was cover with eggs. There were several bunches of different sized eggs. Something I believe is because some females were larger and had held the eggs longer.

I noticed over the next few days that the male had knocked some eggs out when courting the females. I placed these in a filter and later into a DIY fry saver with an air stone close to the eggs to circulate the water.

On day 6 the first eggs started Hatching. Over the next day or 2 all eggs hatched and began wiggling in the fry saver and also the ones in with the male moved to the back of the tube.

After 4 days I moved all the babies except for 15-20 into a large fry saver. I left some fry with dad so he didn’t get too stressed out. After some quick counting it seemed like I had in excess of 100 fry. They stay in 3 different corners of the fry saver, which makes me wonder if they can tell the difference between different clutches of siblings. The fry now have developed a lot of the brown mottled colour and have lost almost all their egg sack.

There finally starting to venture out of there corners and I will start feeding boiled zucchini in a few days. In the mean time there is an abundance of algae in the fry saver. So far no fry have ventured out of the dads bamboo tube.

I have attached some pictures of the spawning, and also some of the fry taken on the 11/11/06. I will update this thread weekly with updates and pictures of the growing fry.

Hope this is of value,

Sam.

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 09:00 AM
The male guarding eggs

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 09:01 AM
Fry taken on the 11/11/06.

scott bowler
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 09:14 AM
that is so cool sam just love babys there the best good luck with them

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks Scott.

Hopefully this will be of help to newbies looking for info. I'm hoping to achieve a size of 3-4cm in 2-3months.

So this will be a diary of anyhthing that happens in my BN tanks. (Including when i move them, when they spawn next etc)

Sam.

Del
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 09:50 PM
Really informative and interesting Sam - well done with the fry!

Can't wait to hear more...

DEL

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 10:29 PM
Double post - Mods please delete.

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 10:29 PM
The fry are growing alot faster then i expected. They seem to have lost all their egg sack. In about a weeks time, even less if i can help it they will be moved into a 4ft tank. I will feed them a small piece of boiled zucchini this afternoon and see if they go for it.

Really informative and interesting Sam - well done with the fry!

Can't wait to hear more...

DEL

Thanks Del

mcloughlin2
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 03:57 AM
UPDATE - Put a nice small piece of zucchini in the fry saver yesterday. Woke up this morning to a few lil BN on it eating away.

The walls of the fry saver are pretty much clean too. So they are maturing far quicker them expected.

Will post a picture when i get a chance. :wink:

mcloughlin2
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 09:35 AM
Some pictures as promised.

The fry saver is looking beautiful now they have ate most the algae. :lol:

mcloughlin2
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
Some of the parents -

(The 2 little albino girls are in some pics. They are pretty mature now. I think i'll have to buy them a AB boy soon) :lol:

mcloughlin2
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:04 AM
Just wanted to make sure all pictures are viewable?

I need to delete the files off my computor but I'm afraid it will also delete the photos off here? :?

mcloughlin2
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 09:01 AM
Just thought I'd update this.

I have had the planned growout tank crack so i havn't been able to move them into desired condtions. They have grown but not as much as i hoped.

Will snap a pic or two in the next week.

Chow
Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hey mcloughlin2,

Hows the breeding coming along. Im currently trying ot get a pair of BN that ive had for about 5-6months ot breed. When i bought them they were already mature. The male is currently 10-11cm, whilst the female is 7-8cm. Im just trying it out in my community tank first to see how i go. Ive placed a piece of PVC pipe in the tank and have noticed the male in there a few times but never stays there for long periods of time. I think it might be a bit narow 3cm diameter. Also it is open at both ends, should i close one end?

I was also thinking maybe getting another female, is this a good idea of should i just try it out with the one a have atm.

Really looking forward to your reply and hope to see some updates of your little babies.

Chow

mcloughlin2
Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry i missed this Chow.

I was away over january and i didn't notice a new post in this thread. Sadly there are no updated pictures of the fry pictured above. Whilst i was away for 4 weeks my fish had to survive on holiday food dropped into the tank every 10 days by friends. So i lost all my babies, and my breeders suffered. I recently aquired another pair (9-11cm) and the female bred with my large male pictured above.

I now have 40 odd fry in a plastic fry saver growing up.

When it comes to breeding these guys. From my experiance the harder you try to breed them the harder it becomes. I use bamboo tubes as breeding logs. But nice dark ornaments with only one entrance and perhaps a second small one can work aswell. BN don't like to breed in open ended pipes so give a closed ended pipe ago. I would also try using something darker then PVC pipe.

Feed them some zucchini and peas once a day or so for a week, maybe two. Do 10% water changes as often as necessary to keep the water clear. After a while when the fish look nice and fat add a powerhead so it is making a stronger current outsite the males cave entrance. Then do a larger water change with cooler water and turn your heater down to 22-24 degrees for a few hours.

If this can;t get them to breed try adding another male (If your tank is big enough) and several girls (If you can track some down)

Sam