PDA

View Full Version : Best way to catch a Bristlenose Catfish?

enigmatic
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Just after some hints and tips on how to catch a Bristlenose to move between tanks?

When I moved house a few months back, I was able to catch most fish but simply couldn't catch this fish. In the end, I was only able to get it after I had emptied all the water out and even then, I was lucky to find it.

The idea of enticing it with food comes to mind but then the catfish is generally the last to get to any food as the SAE and loaches get to it first.

My tank is very heavily planted so this makes the job harder.

I'd like to move the Bristlenose to my other tank to give it more space and a greater chance at food.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

mcloughlin2
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 09:34 AM
Place some zucchini in a bottle that has the top bit cut off abit ...

Or buy yourself a fish trap off ASA :wink:

antwan
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 10:04 AM
I put a couple of algae wafers in my net then placed it into the tank. Bristlenoses were caught within half an hour. Worked a treat.

k0b0i
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 11:47 AM
Do you have any caves?

Easiest way i reckon. Stuff some algae discs in the caves and wait till they go in. Then just pick up the cave, put it over a net. 8-)

That's how i've caught mine in past.

that and using lots and lots of patience... hehe

gro
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 02:24 AM
the soft drink bottle with algea wafer worked for me- only thing is i was trying to catch something else.

The other thing is drift wood. I have dropped my favourite on the carpet after removing some wood one time!!

HB
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:08 PM
I put a couple of algae wafers in my net then placed it into the tank. Bristlenoses were caught within half an hour. Worked a treat.

This is the way i do it as well in my planted tank ,works very well :)

enigmatic
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

In the end I caught mine quite easily. Decided that the tank it was in should have a change for the New Year so I cut back or removed a lot of plants leaving pretty much just the glosso carpet, a few crypts and some driftwood.

With that done, the Bristlenose was an easy catch 8-)

Looks to be doing great in its new home and growing more/better than before.

Phathead6669
Thu Jan 18, 2007, 08:31 PM
Ya definetly the easiest way would be to get the bugger into a cave of some sort that lift the cave out of the water. Keeping the lights on will help him move towards the cave as most plecos prefer to be hidden. Having plants will most definetly make the process a lot harder though and you may have to watch the tank for a while before he will go to the "cave".

Waldo
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 05:36 PM
I don't know how many times I would see a plethora of pleco's sucking to the side of the drifwood so hard that I just have to get the net right under it and as soon as you lift it out of the water they all swim down into the net.

Robdog
Mon Jan 22, 2007, 06:52 PM
Welcome back Waldo! :wink: