PDA

View Full Version : Meds or shrink?

Escher
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 11:37 AM
I can't work this out. I have been transfering fish from my standard 4ft (planted) to a roomier 7x2x2 (bare).
I started by moving 5 juvies. After a few days a decided to transfer my second largest fish as it was being bullied to some extent (I thought). But despite all the room now it would just hide behind a pot most of the time; darker than it should but no other skin disruptions. Moderate appetite.
After about 4 days I introduced a new fish, smaller than my problem fish. There seemd to be an immediate reaction by my problem fish, frieldly joining the new one around the tank. But no improvement in colour. Two days later it is back to normal to sort of hiding, darker, and fins moderately retracted. It comes around whe light are off or there is less movement around.
I have done one course of Melafix + salt for five days (no water change yet). No improvement to this fish. Eats scarcely.
Water parameters are ok to me:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10
temp 29-30 deg
pH 6.75

Any suggestion?

Gianluca

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 01:51 PM
you've moved them from a gravel bottom to bare bottom I gather - they can see their reflection mate. Younger fish adapt after a couple of days - older fish can take a week. They think u have taken away their floor lol.

Escher
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 04:38 AM
Ill call the shrink then! :lol:

africandiscus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 05:05 AM
LOL

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 08:15 AM
escher are they starting to settle in yet?

nicholas76
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 08:26 AM
Lights

shadows

reflections

and the actual location of the tank itself are big factors when introducing discus into a new environment.

if i can make a suggestion. paint the side walls and back wall a sky blue

Escher
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 06:12 AM
I made the last move with the largest discus. Strangely enough the sick discus has shown again great interest in the new addition and started bullying it. From victim to culprit, now it comes around a lot more.
Light may be an issue from one side as we often walk through.
Now the smaller fish seem to be more timid; I might need to boost their number.

nicholas76
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 06:55 AM
its an interesting problem you have there. Ive had it before myself and you can really loose interest in discus over it.

i found that when i divided up the trouble makers or those that have the"issues" things seemed to calm down.

i would defenitely block out the side that has light beaming into it. If you have it - dont use your tank light and start using the room light too.

best of luck

Escher
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:40 PM
I've blocked off one side; that has made some improvements, although not huge. It is still more withdrawn than others. Maybe it is just shy! By now though all large fish have found their pecking order.
Has anybody experimented with tinting the side? Blocking off may be good for the fish, but it certainly isn't pretty! :?