PDA

View Full Version : Fish not happy

skoom
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 12:40 AM
Problem:
I have noticed that some of my discus have started to flick and scrape against the plants. Is there some body parasite/fluke? My RSG also goes through episodes of becoming really dark...then lightens up again... ??? just doesn't look right.....??? =(

I have nine 2-3'' discus in my 4ft tank. Using an AquaOne 1000 with spray bar and a sponge filter+powerhead. I have to get my water tested today but I am confident it is safe. The pH is 6.6.

I am not using an airpump because they are really noisy....problem?

Current Management:
I have raised the temperature 30C and added about 5 tablespoons of salt altogether. I have also changed 25% of the water and intend to do another 25% tomorrow.

Anything else I should or shouldn't do?

I don't want to resort to using too much medication... and I hate staining the rubber in my tank green. The following is a list of medication I have managed to stock up. Any useful atm?

Meds in stock:
Pimafix
praziquantal
trisulfa-tablets
Aquamaster Multi-cure
tetracycline

Waterlife: protozin/myxazin/sterazin

I have had bad experience of knocking off all my fish once because of poor management. Hopefully you can help.

Thanks.

skoom

skoom
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 06:32 AM
Does anyone think my fish has slime disease?

flukes
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 07:57 AM
Hard to say, most fish will do the things your discribing, id keep watching it for a bit longer and see if it gets any worse. Another thing is too add a bit more de-chlor with your water changes. I have just about increased too double.
The changes in the fishes color could just be emotions, my red SSS goes very dark when creating a slime coat whilst breeding.

Id just add some salt if you think there is anything wrong, but it doesnt sound all that bad too me. Doesn sound like your using enough salt either.
Is the tank a standard 4ftr? Dose with 1-2tblsp of salt per 40litres.

skoom
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 11:18 PM
I went to the LFS and asked for nitrite test. It went amber. Very concerned. I plan to do another 25% water change.

?Crisis....

Keep you up to date.

Thanks.

I intend to buy some stress zyme...had some nitrivec but ran out....

what do you prefer?

stresszyme/nitrivec/cycle???

many thanks

kalebjarrod
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 02:38 AM
it should have given some sort of indication of what your nitrates where at?

what was the level?

if you have nirates do water changes, if the nitrates are really high do a few water changes throughout the day rather than half a tank at once.

flukes
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 07:44 AM
Nitrites are not good, you sure the tank was cycled properly? Also is there enough filtration??

Start doing water changes too get it down and then think about changing or updating your filtration.

Oh yeah test you tap water some people have nitrites straight out of the tap.

skoom
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 03:19 PM
I'll have to get water tested again cos the LFS did it for me but I didn't get the reading. (i.e. just the colour)

I have now done 2x 25% changes over the last two days. Water is already being aged for tomorrow's change...

I have noticed opaque marks on the fish's fins (clear part)... Can this be burn marks from ammonia??

Nevertheless things have stabled....(touch wood)

many thanks.

weird
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 01:24 PM
Any update skoom ? How are your fish progressing ? Maybe post some pics ?

flukes
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 02:12 PM
Skoom -
Try and visit a LFS with the SERA electornic test kit, it might cost you 5-10 bucks for the test but it is really worth it. You take a water sample and it the readings are done by computer not color charts also you get a print out of all the tsts performed and results,

Havent heard anyone meantion one in Sydney but boronia has it in melbourne,

skoom
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 06:32 AM
I have done 3x 25% water changes over the last 3 days. The fish are stable...

nitrite levels to follow when I get it tested in an hour....

I'll get pics soon...

I've also poured in loads of StressZyme as advised by LFS.

Which do you prefer?

a. Stress Zyme
b. Cycle
c. Nitrivec
d. other_________________

nicholas76
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 04:42 AM
whats your ph??

perhaps i missed it but id say its worth examining this if you havent done so

too acidic fish will get jumpy, go dark and stop eating.