PDA

View Full Version : VCS auction

wickedglass
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:27 PM
anyone going? I posted in the lounge, but no-one followed up there :/

Noddy65
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:28 AM
I wonder is some F1 of those nice apisots that SLS got in that seem to have disappeared will be there....I wish....

Mike

*Chris*
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 02:35 AM
when is it ???
chris

wickedglass
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
Saturday 28th of October at the Scout Hall in Brunswick Rd Mitcham.

doors open 12pm for receipt of goods with the auction due to start at 1pm

Nathan
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:52 PM
what is it?

Nathan
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:53 PM
what is it?

wickedglass
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:57 PM
it's one of two annual auctions staged by the Victorian Cichlid Society ;)

Noddy65
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:58 PM
At a guess I would say it's the Vic Cichlid Society Auction...probably well worth a look even if your not going to buy anything...

Mike

Ben
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:49 PM
If you are looking for electric yellows this is the place to buy them!! :P might go and check it out. :wink:

Reillin
Sat Oct 28, 2006, 02:36 PM
Auction postmortem

The weather was a bit chilly outside and I think it may have been responsible for a smaller than usual crowd. Yes, if you were after yellows then you missed out. More yellows than you could poke a stick at. The flavour of the day seems to have been cories, cories and cories. Of course, other than that, there were heaps of Rift Lake cichlids.

One surprise was some guy selling off his colony of adult altums. They went for about $500 I think. He had them in large buckets and everyone crowded to have a look. Not a bad bargain for 9 fish, they were HUGE!

Cheers,
Vien.

btw just kidding about the altums.

*Chris*
Sat Oct 28, 2006, 11:46 PM
funny bugger
LOL

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 02:18 AM
Not funny Vien. I was just about to slit my wrists :cry:

PS I want altums :(

wickedglass
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 04:12 AM
we got quite a few of those cories :)
now we need more tanks, bleh,
there were mostly african rift cichlids (some gorgeous peacocks of all makes and sizes), probably unsurprisingly, and as vien said, lots of yellows, amongst them some monster males. apart from a small number of rivs (goldsaum and white edge) and angels and a few oscars there weren't any south american cichlids at all.
lots of driftwood there too, and a bargain sacem 2000 we picked up for $40.
all through the auction I was wondering who Vien was, as his VCS membership form was on the table as I was filling ours out ;) ... Vien, the phantom bidder

Th0mas
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 10:18 AM
So what sort of cories were there? Any photos??

Reillin
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 10:42 AM
Hey Chris,

Seems we cross each other's paths all the time and probably thought how intelligent I look (and vice versa!) :lol:

Here is me.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/Reillin/Me/Picture070.jpg

I think that is a foto of me just having struggled outta bed.

Oops about the altums. Lol. I only know of a couple of people mad for them. One is Matt and his friend Merrilyn. Guess joke was aimed at them. :lol: :twisted: :roll: :p:

Cheers,
Vien.

ps. Hey Chris, I'll probably see you at the EDAS auction in first Sat of Dec (I think). Come say hi.

Reillin
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 10:51 AM
Oops, I forgot.

Cories at the auctions were

Corydoras cf. aeneus
-neon green
-neon gold
-neon red

C. napoensis
C. rabauti
C. adolfoi
C. panda
C. sterbai

I only managed to get some neon green cories, which I think are the best looking of all the cories anyway, so I'm happy. Now to try and spawn them.

Cheers,
Vien.

Th0mas
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the list Vien.

Neon green is nice, I've got a few myself. Have not tried to spawn them yet as all my tanks are full at the moment.

Good luck with your neon green, let me know if you've got some available.

Cheers,
Thomas.

wickedglass
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 12:59 PM
we were the ones in the front row bidding against you on the greens ;)
we got all 4 of the napoensis, two of the gold neons and two of those giant C. pulcher as well as some eel tail cats which I cant remember the name of right now and a couple of discus.
do you think that the cories were packed as pairs or just duos? the C. pulchers may be a pair as one of them is a lot rounder than the other ...
are there Apisto at the edas auction? I was a bit disappointed at the low-show of south americans at the VCS although last time I was there (about 10 years or so ago) there were mostly rift-lakers, too, so I wan't too surprised.

also, here's me looking intelligent on our cuttlefish diving expedition, maybe you recognise me

Reillin
Sun Oct 29, 2006, 11:47 PM
Food looks great. :)

I totally forgot about those C. pulcher. But I didn't want to bid on them just in case I ended up with just two and not been able to get anymore.

Yes, EDAS will have more variety, but we'll have to bid against the shop-owner sitting behind you taking the whole lot. :lol:

Cheers,
Vien.