PDA

View Full Version : Discus 101

blackpantha
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 09:44 AM
Im planning to convert my 75gal community tank into a discus and this is what I was thinking...

White Butterfly Discus (4)
Snow White Discus (4)

Zebra Danio (15)

L306 (4)
L128 (4)
L129 (4)
Clown Loaches (6)

I know the danio's will be fish food but I dont mind replacing! All fish will be at their smallish stage of life.

FishLover
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 05:52 PM
You mabe OK when these fish are young. The problem is, they all do grow up.

It will be way over stocked soon. I would say within 8 months to a year. 8 full grown discus in a 75g tank is pushing the limit already. Plus other fish you have in there, you are going to have some serious problems. Clown loachese can get really big too. I think the Ls you are talking about are cat fish or plecos, which can get big too. All these in fact adds heavey bio load on your tank. Plus the 8 discus, you are way over the limit of the tank can support unless you do few 90% WCs daily.

blackpantha
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:32 PM
I am planning to move all the discus into other tanks as soon as i get pairs... and the left overs can stay in the 75 gal.
The L# are plecos that stay around the 10cm mark. The clowns will take many years to get to a decent size. Also I have many filters on the tank, two canisters and one internal.

mcloughlin2
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:36 AM
IF i was you, I'd cut back to 6 discus of one strain. This way you can have the fish you want in the tank - Providing you have say 2 x 1500LPH Cannisters.

Reason behind that is - Plecos of any sort are poop machines. :wink:

I would also cut back to 10 Zebra Danios