PDA

View Full Version : DIY canster filter and fluidized bed biological filter

DiscusMad
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 06:41 PM
Going to give making this a go but the problem is what type of pump to use.

I'm doing this as on a 30g tank because I just want to see if I can do it just for the sake of it so i know its going to be a head hight of 1.5m so I'm looking at i think with the fluidized bed biological filter between the canster and the fluidized bed so it would be 750lt/h-1000lt/h????

So should i use a Submersible Pump or a normal powerhead???

flukes
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 01:33 AM
Submersible pump will have a better head hight, actually a powerhead will be close to nothing. Id say pump.

DiscusMad
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 01:44 PM
I have thought this over and what I need to get is a 10-20 liter bucket that seals well and an external pump cheaply which I have no Idear where I could get a cheap one for under $50 but going to go hunting for one on monday ( wife wants it to be very quiet with no huming from it ) I don't know how my luck would be.

Well I post some more details latter if I can find the things I need.

flukes
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 02:48 PM
Iam going to try my hand at making some acrylic wet/dry filters this weekend, if all goes well, i will be purchasing a router and making a jig up too do a more proffessional job.

Then once i can make perfect joins, i will start making wet/drys, fluidisied bed filters, overflows, sumps and tanks. All in acrylic.

I could probably make you one now as i have joined acrylic before but the joins would look a bit messy, they will hold water no worries but i wouldnt sell the final product unless its near if not perfect.

This is similar to the acrylic fluidisied bed filters i want to construct -
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/photos/art_diy_fbf_02.jpghttp://www.cichlid-forum.com/photos/art_diy_fbf_05.jpg

Because i could design brackets so it sits nicely on the side of a tank, you use a power head or even the outlet of a cannister filter for a strong enough flow through and out back into the tank.

Anyway i want too get some more practice on some things i need too make for myself and when i can make the perfect join ill advertise them in the classifieds.

I know it might not help you as you will want it now and you will probably want to contruct one yourself but just letting you and others know my plans..

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 10:01 PM
i'm sorry to say but you will get some humming, most pumps work on a impeller based system and the rotation on this impeller causes the hum, it also moves the water...... catch 22

i like the bucket idea, you will need to make sure it has a great seal!

you could construct one from PVC as well

DiscusMad
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:14 PM
wensday is payday Wooohooo. :P

but i can't start it untill the following monday because of work :x

but then again there is time inbetween work and sleep :lol:

will start a new post when i finish the DIY fun and will have a few photos for people intrested. (finaly worked out that if i had changed the settings on the camera to make smaller images then i can post them lol. Maybe i should of red the instructions on the camera first :roll: )

flukes
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:31 PM
Maybe use something using a clamp other wise if it is permanant how are you going to access it for maintaince.

Just a thought..

DiscusMad
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:41 PM
going to use release pipes ont the in pipe have a sweet bucket hehehe its a nappy bucket and has a great seal i filled it half full of water and turned it upside down and not a drop untill i shaked it up and down and the demestic authority just laught at me half drenched in the bath room with empty bucket over my head lol

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 09:13 PM
go try an old beer brewing keg, they have screw on lids and are a heap harder to clean

most brewers are changeing them as they can so there are alot floating around for nothing

water tight and can be presurrized

just a though

DiscusMad
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 09:21 PM
thanks good thought will give it a go as well

Ahh the beauty of DIY

Will1983
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:07 PM
any progress with this?

DiscusMad
Wed Dec 23, 2009, 08:55 AM
worked well with a bit of play but it would be good with an over flow box attached i thought having a complete sealed container would suck from the tank but it did not do this well bu8t i think with an over fl;ow box it would help alot and i think i needed a better pump lol