PDA

View Full Version : Papagei Video

wickedglass
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:35 AM
here's my boy courting his female .... or is it her courting him? :lol:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/taxman69/?action=view&current=papagei.flv

no eggs today ... but a little birdy and bee tells me soon soon soon :wink:

chrisso81
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:54 PM
:thumb Cool vid, very interesting to watch :D

Noddy65
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 12:11 AM
Yep...looks close...she really wants him doesn't she...

Mike

Th0mas
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 02:06 AM
Keep it up - should be eggs today.

finlandaq
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 11:05 AM
Hay Chris

Are These the fish you bought at the shop?

Rav

wickedglass
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 11:07 AM
yes they are, Ravi ... beautiful fish they are, too :)

weird
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 01:13 PM
great vid, chris

wickedglass
Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:41 AM
finally they spawned, heaps of eggs all around the inside of the pot. fingers crossed ......

wickedglass
Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:59 PM
just some observations on these apistos.
after I took the vid, the male resumed to chasing the girl away constantly. when she was hiding, she had what I assume are breeding colours and patterns ... they're the same she's got now as she's guarding the eggs, namely yellow with regular black spots along her lateral line, a black tuft on the front of her dorsal (yep, she's a punk) and a very black eye stripe. When she was out and about, she did her best to appear nondescript and assumed mottled frey colouring and trying to stay away from the male.
what's remarkable (something I haven't seen in other apistos I've kept) is that the male is allowed within very close proximity of the brood cave (she'd be entirely justified in giving him some of his own back at this stage, I recon). she will chase the aphyosemion and the cories away quite rigorously, but the male ony gets a little nudge when he dares to come closer than about 5 cm. I believe that I'll have to take out the cories and aphyos as both parents will take part in the care of the fry ... but they may prove me wrong.

water is 6.5 pH and at 26 C ... I have a bad habit of never measuring the hardness, so I have no idea what it is ... I just know that melbourne water is pretty soft ... usually if I have a fish which requires extremely low hardness, I use ion exchange resin. maybe I should get a hardness kit, but then, I don't seem to be having too many problems and maybe it's better not to know ;)

I'll post some images when they take the kids out for a walk ... should be sometime early next week.