How can I tell a Boreli Opal - other than the shop saying this is a borlie opal

Steve

wickedglass
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:28 AM
the opals have red in their face and they're very blue in the body

gingerbeer01
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:02 AM
Chris

that is what I thought. I have an opal male - who has no red in the face at all - only blue, and an imported male who has red and nice blue body - bought as imported boreli. So switched and paired red fact with opal female and they have now laid. "opal with no red is with a fmale taht I think is from a line with yellow head blue body but aiting for young.

I was just hoping I hadn't done the wrong thing.

Steve

wickedglass
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:28 AM
breeders often cross different colour strains of the same species to try and improve their fish. look at wilhelm in germany, they come up with supersaturated fish all the time, and they're nothing like what's found in the wild. borelii are beautiful fish that have been tank bred for a long time, with new strains being developed, like the cacatuoides. it's no different from new colour strains of discus, really. the only travesty in a lot of ppeople's eyes would be if you crossed the same said borellii with a cacatuoides ... and if their offspring are viable. however, purists will advise that it's best to stick with the wild forms and breed them as true as you can.
really what I'm saying is that you may want to look into developing a new colour strain, crossing different forms of the same species is no hanging crime.

gingerbeer01
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 05:13 AM
This is the male.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/gingerbeer/boreli.jpg

wickedglass
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:07 PM
he's a beauty, isn't he?

Robdog
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 09:57 AM
Does anybody here have any A. borelli or know a shop that has them??

gingerbeer01
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:08 AM
I got about 30 babies. All from him - two different girls.

:D

Steve

Robdog
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
What city are you in GB?

Th0mas
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
Steve's is in Brisbane from memory.

Robdog
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:46 AM
I don't know why but I'm really interested with these borelli's at the moment :? . I've heard they are pretty hardy little guys which might be good for me right now :oops:

gingerbeer01
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 01:27 PM
Yep - I'm in Brisbane. Seen four definite different imports floating around up here.

one is blue with yellow face

one is my fellow above that I would call an opal

one is sold as boreli opal and prossibly is but very small fish to tell for sure.

Final on is sold as boreli opal but look blue with yellow head.

So lots of great fish to choose from. I know Bay has had them on there list for a while and would suspect that the first two may be from them. The last two almost definitely are not.

HTH
Steve

p.s. half of my babies are just free swimming, other half are about 3 weeks old.

Robdog
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info mate. I think I'm gonna keep my eyes open for some of these guys.

Good luck with the youngsters!

parkap
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the info mate. I think I'm gonna keep my eyes open for some of these guys.

Good luck with the youngsters!

Rob,

BNC (B&C) at Matraville just got some yellow/blue borellii in a few weeks ago. I ended p with 3 pairs and they're beautiful. I think he may have 2 pairs left from the bunch.

p.