PDA

View Full Version : Hagen Marine Glos for my Blue Diamonds

Nick D.
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 04:56 PM
Hey all...
Hows it going from Canada?? I just recently picked up 4 nice juvi Blue Diamond discus, and want to get max impact from them in my planted 29gal community tank. I currently have a 6500K power compact, on for 8hrs a day, plus a twin strip light, 2x25watts. I was wondering if I threw one hagen marine glo bulb in there, would it make a big difference in the colour of my fish?? Being heavy in the blue spectrum, and having blue diamonds, I'm thinking the effect would be stellar....

any thoughts?? Has anyone else tried this??

Thanks,
Nick D.

PS. Pics to follow soon?

Proteus
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 11:50 PM
Hey there Nick, Welcome to DF.com

In combination with the other lights I reckon it would be a fantastic idea
(I might even try it myself)

Great thinking...

:wink:

wyldchyld01
Wed Sep 08, 2004, 09:10 AM
i use an actinic light (your blue light) for night lights when breeding so the fry can find the adult discus, the colours on my red turqs and blue diamonds when this is on astounds me.

hope you don't have plants or are using an ultraviolet lamp just to get rid of the excess algae but otherwise i'd say go for it.

you'll love the results

Brenton

kalebjarrod
Wed Sep 08, 2004, 09:20 AM
hope you don't have plants or are using an ultraviolet lamp just to get rid of the excess algae but otherwise i'd say go for it.

confused?

Mattzilla
Wed Sep 08, 2004, 10:01 AM
yeah, please explain what you mean???

Proteus
Wed Sep 08, 2004, 10:16 AM
With that sort of light combination expect to have a LOT of Algae, plants dont benefit from blue light, algae does...

A UV unit would help eliminate any algae outbreak, as would careful use of the blue lamp...

Bad Inferno
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 12:36 PM
Interestingy enough I bought a very expensive 36" 30w ocean life tube 50% natural daylight 50% Actinic blue. (6000k Actinic)

It is hopeless...I have three tubes over my tank when this tube is on it provides very very little light (lucky to lightup the sand) and when the other two tubes are on it has really zero effect on the discus

I assumed saltwater some how reflects light differently thus the poor performance of this tube in a freshwater tank.

flukes
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:15 PM
When you have a actinic bulb with normal over a saltwater you cant actually see a huge differnce in the light over the tank. It just makes the fish and corals and nicer color.