PDA

View Full Version : My trip east

Noddy65
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 12:21 PM
Well...its confirmed..Im going to be in Melbourne on the weekend around the 26 Jan 2007, am hoping to be in Sydney the following weekend and will fly back to Perth.

I havent worked out the logistics yet but there are some Inkas waiting for me in Melbourne, Inkas in Sydney (and hopefully some aggassizi tefe). I was hoping to carry the fish in the hold as part of my luggage but need to work out if I can take the Melbourne fish to Sydney, house them there while I pick up the Sydney fish and then fly directly back to Perth. Alternatively fly to Sydney, pick up the fish, fly back to Melbourne, stabalise them in Melbourne for a few days and then fly back to Perth from Melbourne. It will also depend on what other fish I can pick up in either Melbourne or Sydney...

Will have to do some thinking...

Mike

wickedglass
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 01:42 PM
hey Mike,
I recon take the fish on as cabin luggage, just make sure they don't x-ray them, which will most likely happen before they put them in the hold. If the get x-rayed they might turn out sterile.
If they travel in a styrofoam container, take them out, show the people your plastic bags and let them xray the container, sans fish, if they need to.
Some of our members who have taken fish interstate in this fashion may be able to help you in what may be beneficial in regards to paperwork, too, to facilitate a smoother walk-through.
If you're interested I may still have some A. viejita II hanging around and may be able to give you a pair to take home.

wickedglass
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 01:46 PM
Actually, come to think of it, because I keep forgetting about it, I may be able to bring them over to Perth at the start of December, the flight has been booked since like May. Maybe I can bring your Inkas then, too ... just an idea as I'm heading that way anyway.

My gf and I are travelling up Broome way and scuba diving all along the coast whenever we get a nice spot.

bushie
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 11:51 PM
My gf and I are travelling up Broome way and scuba diving all along the coast whenever we get a nice spot.

going to be a long slow trip if you scuba at every nice spot.
that basically means the whole coast.
hope you have got nice long holidays :lol:

enjoy it
bushie

Noddy65
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks Chris
That might help as it would save carrying the fish from Melbourne to Sydney or save me flying to Sydney then back to Melbourne.

The wife does her fieldwork up around Broome, diving for oysters etc...Ill ask her where the nice spots to dive are...

One other issue is that my nephew lives in Glen Waverley and is only 16 so there may be some issues getting the fish to Fitzroy...but maybe something can be worked out...?

I have viejta 2 but am always looking for new blood, where did you get your original stock from?

Mike

Noddy65
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 01:44 PM
Ok...Im gonna be in Melbourne on the 23 rd Jan, then flying to Sydney on the 1 Feb.
Havent booked the return flight to Perth yet as I need to know which airline will let me carry the fish on as cabin luggage (I know that Jetstar doesnt).

Im staying with the sister in law in Sydney and hope to be there for at least 3 days so should be able to travel around a bit.
I shoudlnt have to carry any fish from Melbourne to Sydney and then to Perth (well i hope not as Ive booked with Virgin already and I dont know if I can carry them on as hand luggage).

Hope to catch up with some of you guys then (if the wife lets me of course).

Mike

shake
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:15 PM
Mike,

Let me know when you are in Melbourne. I'll try to help any way I can.

k0b0i
Thu Nov 09, 2006, 12:45 AM
Where you staying in Syd?

make sure you take a trip to the eastern suburbs as they hold 4 good places for apistos.

BnC - matraville
Rays - potts point
Aquapets - bondi junction
SLS - kingsford

I think they're all within about a 10km radius of each other...:?:

HTH!

Noddy65
Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:00 AM
Hmmm...Ive spoken to both Qantas and Virgin today...it appears I cant carry the fish on with either of them...will have to try and make other arrangements now..

Mike

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:37 AM
You can still ship them as cargo, on the same flight as you, but in an insulated foam box in the cargo hold.

Need to give yourself plenty of time before your flight to go around to cargo first and have your fish loaded. Make sure you mark them "live fish" so they don't throw the box around too much.

Most fish shops will help you out with putting oxygen in their plastic bags, before you finally seal them in the foam carrying box.

I ship fish all over Australia with Virgin and AAE and always found them very obliging.

k0b0i
Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:43 AM
you could always try that coke bottle thing...

:twisted:

Noddy65
Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:56 AM
I was thinking of getting some fish from one of the LFS in Melbourne and then seeing if they can organise shipping my baenschi as well...might have to hit the phone this afternoon..

Mike

Th0mas
Thu Nov 09, 2006, 04:07 AM
Ask around on ACE, surely it is safe to carry providing they're bagged properly (double/triple bag).

Have done so in the past, as hand carry as well as checked in luggage (they do give you a funny look) but that was many years ago (before Y2K).

Thomas.

Noddy65
Thu Nov 09, 2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks guys
I have a mate who is going to melbourne soon and i was hoping to bring them back on his flight...it may be too much to ask for him to take it to cargo dept before his flight but I may be able to persuade a relative to do it and have it put on his flight...

Thomas...Ive posted on ACE, will see what comes of it..

Mike