PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates

flukes
Fri Feb 27, 2004, 09:43 AM
I am after some tank mates to start stocking my new tank, i was thinking of putting a couple of peppermint BN's and a couple of corys. The question i want to know is what are the best cory's to suit the discus's conditions??

Thanks
scott

Essayons89
Fri Feb 27, 2004, 09:49 AM
I think that just about any of the cory species will be fine with discus as would the ancistrus.

Bryan

kevkoi
Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:35 AM
Scott, I've spoken to you about this b4, but I'll say it again on the forum...

My prefered corydoras to put with discus would be the Panda corydoras. Reason being that they are one of the most sensitive corydoras IMO. They are also not all that hard to find around in most shops. (Ok, the Albino and bronze are easiest to find, but those fish are near indestructable). I tend to like to use 'sensitive' fish as canary's in the discus tank. Anything more sensitive than the discus is good.... If you start having problems with your panda corydoras, start testing your water!

My other favourites are the rummy nose tetras. The red nose tells a lot about water quality. If they aren't showing quite as red.... start testing the water.

Peppermints are also a good match..... Good taste. :)

kev

Proteus
Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:50 AM
Cant go past the Minties... I have approx 7 in my 4 ft tank, and they dont hinder the 6-7 Discus at all, and apart from at feeding time, if i notice they are a little grey, that means maybe do a slightly larger water change, or test... smae points as kev regarding Rummynose... they are great little indicators of water quality

Fishpimpin73
Fri Feb 27, 2004, 04:00 PM
NO RAMS?? :cry: :cry:

How could you forget about my little babies??? :cry: :cry:

Also another AWESOME indicator of water quality, they will pale and just look kinda sad.

Tank Mates for Dinner Plates???

RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS RAMS

Pimpin :wink:

flukes
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the help guys, got the peppermints, tried to find some panda cory's at about 3 different lfs's but no luck so i ended up with some albino, the guy said when he does get some he will ring me. I also got 8 rummy nose tetra which are great.
Only problem i had was one of the bristtle nose was a bit in shock and sat at the bottom of the tank heart pounding for maybe 5 mins now he is a bit more curious.
I let the bag sit in the tank for 10mins then added water to the bag and let it sit for another 20mins then i put them in the tank.
Someone told me not to pour the bag of the lfs water into your tank, so i didn't i netted them and placed them in, i think this was the reason the BN had a shock because its hard to catch a 3cm bn in a small bag.

Well every thing looks good, although the albino cory's are VERY active, so when the guy rings me about the panda's ill may exchange them or move the albino's to my mates tank.

Thanks for the help guys
Cheers
Scott

flukes
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 05:02 AM
woa went back to the tank after about 30mins looking for one of the cory's looked every where then look at the filter intake omg he had his head popping out hanging on for dear life, i got him free and now his just sitting at the bottom, i hope he will be ok.

Proteus
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 05:10 AM
what sort of filter are you using???

a good idea is to put a piece of sponge over the inlet, it acts firstly as a prefilter, and prevents curious little critters getting hurt...

flukes
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 05:19 AM
eheim 2213 i put a bit of like orange bad over it, cory doesnt look the best though.