PDA

View Full Version : Bloated and floating on its side at the top

SandyLynne
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 08:56 PM
My Marlboro is extremely bloated and floating on its side at the top, all other discus are fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jadels
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:17 PM
Blockage? I dont know but that would be my guess. I dont know how to treat it but search through this section and i think salt of some description is the remedy but read up first because i know its not house hold salt.

sammigold
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 05:39 AM
You could try putting Epsom salts in your tank... 1 teaspoon per 40 litres... if it is a digestive issue that should help....
If you have any catfish or loaches you should make sure that you separate them as they are scaleless. I have read that as long as you dissolve the salt thoroughly before putting in the tank it can be ok... but I have personally never dosed a tank with catties or loaches in it... I will always separate the sicky into a hospital tank...
good luck.

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 07:01 AM
Sandy, try the epsom salts and see if that helps.

The other thought is that it could be a swim bladder problem caused by a bacterial infection.

If the epsom salts has no effect, you may need to try a course of antibiotics. I'd try tetracycline (which should be available from your aquarium shop) first. Be warned that it will destroy your bio filter, so it's best to treat the sick fish in a hospital tank on his own.

SandyLynne
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 07:39 AM
Thankyou all for your help.

So far I have not done anything as I had to go out but on my return Marlboro had returned to normal. Would this mean it was a blockage that cleared itself?

I must get some epsom salts to have on hand incase I do need it some day, I have never used it before.

Gee fish do some very strange things.

sammigold
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 01:19 AM
I am glad your fish is ok... you should be able to find Epsom salts at your local supermarket...